Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old printing papers ... lost and forgotten?

Old printing papers ... lost and forgotten?

I don't think the quality of Portriga Rapid was merely legendary. I'm talking about paper I used in the late 70s (at that time, by the way, people who'd been in the business for a long time complained that the Portriga of that moment was inferior to that of "bygone times" -- I have no idea if that was so). Anyway, I've yet to see a paper that produces a better neutral/bluish black than Portriga toned in a thin dilution of selenium. I have some prints from that 70s period with blacks that I cannot quite match (in my subjective judgment) w/ Azo.... The Bergger papers are definitely worth anybody's time, esp. (in my experience) the Silver Supreme. That is the best commercial silver paper I know anything about. Takes time and experimentation to get used to it, and it's expensive as the blazes. I guess I really don't mean it's better than Azo, which is more "brilliant" (glossier). Silver Supreme has a real "salon" look, when used well (my old Imagon pictorial lens is a good, natural match). There are many subjects, no doubt, for which the harder look of Azo is better suited.... Apart from Azo and Bergger, I'm not sure I believe there is any paper around to rival the Oriental of old, the Portriga of old. Speaking of which, my Complete Photographer encyclopedia, c. 1941, indicates that the Azo of that moment was available in SEVEN GRADES. Take that, Michael.... One more thing: Anybody ever tried lith printing with Silver Supreme? -jb

Seven grade of Azo!!! That is something. I have six Grades 0-5, but I did not know of seven. It also used to come in about 100 different sizes--one size for every format. for example 2 1/4 x 2 3/4, 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. The list is endless. Now it is down to two grades and two sizes. Pitiful

I miss DuPont Velour Black. Big-time.

But I don’t know how much of my melancholy is for the paper alone. In those days I was still in my 20's, newly married, driving a two-year-old Mercedes for which I had paid $2,495.00, working in Hollywood for the photographer who had shot the famous nude of Marilyn Monroe, the Kodak catalogue was still an inch thick, and I was carrying around a brand-new 8x10 Deardorff.

Oh yes, and my knees still worked.

I also miss Agfa's Insignia paper. Nice warm tone with a brilliant white base. Just lovely, I think I miss that more than Broveria...well, it is a tie.

leec