Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 8x10 - Teak: First Impressions

Re: Chamonix 8x10 - Teak: First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Certainly the Chaminox is lighter than the Shen-Hao, and is probably worth the extra 1K for someone looking for the lightest solution. However, everything is a compromise. Like the way Chamonix made the base of the front standard so thin. If you want a sturdy, but heavier front standard for a 360, then the Shen-Hao is the way to go.

Wow nice images.Yes I'd like to use my 300 and 360 plasmats if possible.I hardly use my 240 G-Claron cause its hard to compose with in anything other than bright sunlight, I'm more low key.After lugging around a black C-1 and Ries A-100, I'm sure either the Chamonix or Shen on my Feisol tripod is gonna feel like a feather by comparison. Thanks for posting these pics.

Without wishing to start a 'this is better than that' as I dont have the two to compare directly, the Chamonix and Shen have very different front movements. The front standard of the chamonix has no linkages or joints of any kind for base movement, whereas the Shen has three, all of which are potential sources of flex. The photo of the Chamonix is the MKI, not the current Mk II and that camera weighed in at 2.8Kg - a whole kilogram less than the current one at 3.8Kg. There have been some changes and I will try to get a photo of mine up today. I can honestly say that I cannot detect any more flex from the front standard of the Chamonix than I could with an ABS Walker XL, which has a fixed front standard (only front axial tilt available) and it is far more rigid that the Zone VI which had a more traditional front standard. Take the joints out and you remove most of the possibility for play. In all fairness to the Zone VI UL, the movement in that camera was in the aluminium hardware and wood. The cool thing about the Chamonix is that the carbon fibre bed and runner that carries the front standard, just will not flex, which explains the ridiculous stability at long extensions.

I've uploaded a bunch of files. File 467 shows the neat solution to arresting the rear standard in the vertical position. This protrusion can be pushed aside to allow for rear back tilt.

The width of front standard in contact with the bed is approx. 1 inch. It's rock solid and there is quite literally no movement whatsoever. The Shen Hao allows for a front base tilt, however, which is not possible with the Chamonix.

The other photos are intended to show the fit, finish and some of the functional aspects. Sorry for not posting lots of funky photos with movements etc.

It seems none of the photos online show the right colour for the teak. Its cooler than shown here perhaps. Anyway, its very nice and while not as exotic as the best of black walnut, is a much better substitute than I expected.

More to follow in next post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0455.jpg   DSCF0454.jpg   DSCF0457.jpg   DSCF0458.jpg  

more photos...

In the second photo you will see the very visible dots which help you ensure the rear standard is squared when using the rear extension. These are much better than the hard to see lines marked on the carbon fibre bed on some other Chamonix camera. I cannot imagine even attempting to find those in fading light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0460.jpg   DSCF0461.jpg   DSCF0462.jpg   DSCF0463.jpg  

and finally....

File 467 shows the neat solution to arresting the rear standard in the vertical position. This protrusion can be pushed aside to allow for rear back tilt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0465.jpg   DSCF0467.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Certainly the Chaminox is lighter than the Shen-Hao, and is probably worth the extra 1K for someone looking for the lightest solution. However, everything is a compromise. Like the way Chamonix made the base of the front standard so thin. If you want a sturdy, but heavier front standard for a 360, then the Shen-Hao is the way to go.
    I dont know how do you draw the conclusion that the front standard on Chamonix is less stable.

It might be hassle for someone to screw, unscrew the front standard while open/fold the camera. However, the front standard is probably one of the most stable among wooden folding 8X10s. Just like turtle said, less linkage/joints means more stability.

I have used 360 sironar s (the heaviest lens I own) on Chamonix 8X10 without any problems.

Besides, your Chamonix camera photo is from an earlier version.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    that camera weighed in at 2.8Kg - a whole kilogram less than the current one at 3.8Kg.
    I once owned the previous version with walnut wood, and now have the latest version with maple wood. I think the current one is lighter than the previous version. So it must be the wood.

It is a great looking camera!!! Hope it makes you some great images. Post more pics of it out in the field and some of the results too. Have fun.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Congratulations! I really like the look of the teak with the black. It really is beautiful!

I'm hoping that I will be able to spend a good few weeks in far flung parts of the UK when I return home in 6 weeks. That'll give me a good chance to get into a routine with it and comment further. So far though, playing with it in my room overseas, it is looking promising. I dont have the kit here to shoot with it, so have to be patient!