Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: cheap 4x5 "zoom viewfinder" from the auction site.

Re: cheap 4x5 "zoom viewfinder" from the auction site.

I have received the cheap zoom viewfinder in question and am happy to write up a miniature review of the item if anyone is interested. I'd also be happy to take some pictures of the item.

I'd like to hear a review; I have lenses from 72mm up to 210, and would like to know how well this works as a preview.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'd like to hear a review; I have lenses from 72mm up to 210, and would like to know how well this works as a preview.
    Thanks
    I'm happy to write up a little review / take photos when I return home this weekend.

I take the risk to be a bit provocative, but I must confess in public that I recently acquired a true "zoom viewfinder" recently for the equivalent of $30 postage included
    ahem .. in fact this is the price I paid for a used-but-almost-new 35 mm Point 'n Shoot film camera with a 28-100 zoom lens and matched zoom viewfinder. The finder is a true zoom viewfinder, not a fixed angle finder with masks, a good ol' optical system with a high eyepoint eyepiece, allowing me to see 100% of the viewfinder image with my ophtalmic glasses on, unlike the venerable Linhof-version-1, totally useless to people wearing glasses.
    And (do not disclose this to the forum's moderators) I'll give you a little secret: if you put some film inside the box, not only you'll still have a zoom viewfinder avalaible, but you'll be able to take pictures whith it

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    I take the risk to be a bit provocative, but I must confess in public that I recently acquired a true "zoom viewfinder" recently for the equivalent of $30 postage included
    ahem .. in fact this is the price I paid for a used-but-almost-new 35 mm Point 'n Shoot film camera with a 28-100 zoom lens and matched zoom viewfinder. The finder is a true zoom viewfinder, not a fixed angle finder with masks, a good ol' optical system with a high eyepoint eyepiece, allowing me to see 100% of the viewfinder image with my ophtalmic glasses on, unlike the venerable Linhof-version-1, totally useless to people wearing glasses.
    And (do not disclose this to the forum's moderators) I'll give you a little secret: if you put some film inside the box, not only you'll still have a zoom viewfinder avalaible, but you'll be able to take pictures whith it
    This is my kind of post! I'll bet the pictures that you make with your viewfinder look pretty darned good, too.

With much delay and little by way of explanation for said delay, here goes.

The build on this thing is solid, though the actual optics are soft and pretty distorted - it makes my old Cambo finders look fantastic optically. Again and probably most importantly, the build quality is solid and the aperture selection has indentations so that once you've selected your focal length the finder is not going to slip wider or longer.

The actual finder operates as mentioned earlier - there is a set of sliding masks that open and close depending on your desired focal length. Accordingly, longer focal lengths will appear smaller through the finder than wider ones (there is no optical zoom / racking of the viewfinder). For simple framing, this finder definitely gets the job done.

One caveat - I haven't measured the finder's focal lengths against another finder or lens. I need to save that for next time!

Here are a few pics. If anyone has questions, please let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPP_00079999.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	71746

Name:	DPP_00080005.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	71747

Name:	DPP_00080000.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	71748

Name:	DPP_00080002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	71749

Yes i got a DAYI camera from China.... got the viewfinder for the 65mm lens and it was blurry really bad... called and emailed about the blurry finder... there response was its was normal!!! i tried and tried ... sold the crappy camera for a big loss... I hear the Fotoman company has a higher standard of quality ... try them....

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Another little known secret: Some of those picture taking viewfinders function as light meters too.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Another little known secret: Some of those picture taking viewfinders function as light meters too.

Steve.
    I bet you're going to try to convince me that you can make prints from them, too!

Thanks for the review, Joe; too bad about the crappy optics.