Beyond The Zone System, 4th Edition, pp. 136, paragraph 2:

"1. Take the bright light (high) reading.
2. Take the shadow (low) reading.
3. Subtract the low reading from the high reading (in stops).
4. Add that difference to 5 (the standard minimum range) to find the total subject [brightness] range (SBR) in stops.
5. Consult the EFS chart to find the appropriate film speed, and set it into your meter dial.
6. With the meter pointer set on the shadow (low) reading, select the camera settings, and make the exposure. Record the SBR number.
7. Consult the developing chart to find the development time that's appropriate for the SBR, and develop accordingly."

Those instructions likely refer to meters whose display is a dial, not the more modern meters which give results in numbers.

Would it be correct to re-state numbers 5 - 6 as follows ?

5. Consult the EFS chart for your film/developer combination, find the appropriate film speed for the specified SBR, and set your light meter to that speed.
6. Take the shadow (low) reading again, and expose with the settings recommended by the meter. Record the SBR number.

This may all be obvious to BTZS afficionados, but as a newcomer, I am confused with the nomenclature - particularly because my current meter (Pentax Digital Spot) reads in LV, while my ancient Incident meter has a dial, and gives results in terms of EV.

I'm also aware that the ExpoDev software automates much of this, and incorporates additional variables like flare, filter factor, bellows extension, reciprocity, etc - but I'm trying to grasp the core principal here.

Thank you