Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Issues shipping to Australia?

Declare the correct value and not a cent more, I recently got some bits to make a box camera, the seller declared the value on the customs form USD 100 more than I paid, which pushed me over the allowable threshold for duty free imports, I had to pay NZD 114 extra to get it out of customs, which has made it a very expensive box camera.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Kirk,

However, do NOT ship in ANY containers related to fruits (Apple box). They WILL quarantine the container for a period of time. This actually happened!
    Why is this so hard for you to believe?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

For your buyer's sake USPS is almost certainly more convenient than Fedex or UPS. USPS gets delivered by Australia post and if there is nobody there to sign for it they will leave it at the local post office which will usually be 5 minutes drive away. If UPS or Fedex can't deliver then it goes back to their depot which can be a lot further away since neither company is anywhere near as big here as they are in the US. As noted above, just write the actual value and "Used Photographic Goods" on the customs form and it should be fine. Anything valued under $1000 goes through without duty. Generally delivery time is a couple of weeks although I just had one that took six weeks to get here - no idea why.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

i have had heaps of lens's from the us of a and no problems, exept customs charges,

best put value under 1000 if you like them
    through a glass darkly...

I've bought a number of items from here (and Ebay) that have been sourced in the US and shipped over here to Oz. Never had a problem - delivery has always been very prompt and in many cases quicker than local delivery. I'm awaiting delivery of a Mamiya camera system I purchased from this very forum which is being delivered by USPS. FedEx quoted over $300 for delivery, USPS quoted $96 and would deliver in 3 - 5 days. FedEx must have been smoking something when they came up with that quote.

Hi Lachlan,

Don't recall saying that it was hard for me to believe... it was mentioned for the mere fact that, often times, one (as I did) would look for a sturdy box to send equipment
    in and not think twice about grabbing such a sturdy "fruit box" container. They're fairly common at grocery stores.

So, if you're picking up your inference from the exclamation mark in my last statement (in the earlier post)... let me stand corrected and re-state as follows:

"This actually happened."

Hope that answers your question without need for further comment.

That is all!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

retrogrouchy

If the lens value plus shipping cost is over $1000, the recipient will need to pay 10% GST on it, which will be annoying. Please do not send it via UPS or FedEx (especially) if you can avoid it because they will often charge the recipient a $75 "customs clearance fee" that is completely unnecessary.

Use one of the USPS services, they are insurable, trackable and don't cause grief for the recipient unlike the courier companies do.

I agree with others' comments above. I've bought lots of stuff from the US and have found USPS reliable, although often later than the 6-10 working days they quote, possible due in part to slowness on the part of Australia Post. 10-15 working days is a more reasonable espectation.

Stuff-ups do happen: I've heard of items delayed because they went to Austria, rather than Australia; and in one case I had some memory for my Mac computer come from the US via Malmo in Sweden! (work that out!)

On the whole I'm happy to buy from the US, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    FedEx quoted over $300 for delivery, USPS quoted $96 and would deliver in 3 - 5 days. FedEx must have been smoking something when they came up with that quote.
    FedEx, UPS, they are always smoking something.