Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Quality 8x10 gear...how much does it matter?

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Re: Quality 8x10 gear...how much does it matter?

Last question that I have...for now, which has not yet been answered. Is my Caltar-S II 12" (300mm) a Schneider Symmar-S? From what I read I'm thinking it probably is...but am not sure. It's the only lens I have which seem to have what I understand to be "Schneider-itis" on both the front and rear elements, but it sounds like that shouldn't matter in terms of image quality.

Just curious if anyone knows what this lens actually is. It's in the older style copal 3 with the chrome shutter speed ring if that helps at all. I assume its Multi-Coated.....but am not sure of that either.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Thanks ya'll! I ordered 2 rolls of the ATG 928 3/4" and am excited to try it out.
    Adam, where did you buy it from? Want to try some too.

Thanks

Hey Chris, I got it from the https://www.bindingsource.com/Default.asp. Its one of the few places I found had 3/4" and didn't require a minimum purchase of 6 rolls. However, I just got an email from them saying that its back ordered and wont ship for 7-10 days.....
    ----------------------

Yes, trees and lamp posts have an awful tendency to spoil things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The idea behind all these view camera movements is that you should be able to shoot tack sharp 8x10 at f/16 if you do the right moves (if your subject matter works). Unfortunately, unless you do the classic Ansel Adams rocks in the foreground of the mountains shot over and over, very few subjects comply!

From the various Caltar references I have seen online, yes it is a Schneider Symmar S. The Caltar N II were Sironar N/APO Sironar N lenses I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Last question that I have...for now, which has not yet been answered. Is my Caltar-S II 12" (300mm) a Schneider Symmar-S? From what I read I'm thinking it probably is...but am not sure. It's the only lens I have which seem to have what I understand to be "Schneider-itis" on both the front and rear elements, but it sounds like that shouldn't matter in terms of image quality.

Just curious if anyone knows what this lens actually is. It's in the older style copal 3 with the chrome shutter speed ring if that helps at all. I assume its Multi-Coated.....but am not sure of that either.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam

Not in Lee Friedlander's work.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Yes, trees and lamp posts have an awful tendency to spoil things.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    From the various Caltar references I have seen online, yes it is a Schneider Symmar S. The Caltar N II were Sironar N/APO Sironar N lenses I believe.
    Awesome, thank you! That's what I thought but could not find the place where I originally got the information.
    ----------------------

I was referring to optimal apertures and tilts....

Quote Originally Posted by sgreenberg View Post
    Not in Lee Friedlander's work.

I forget the lenses he uses, but when I had the opportunity to visit Mr. Berkett's studio, he was using a Calumet (18lbs) later model, black 8x10 on a sturdy, carbon fiber "survey" tripod. Previously, he was using the green magnesium model. He does research on, and tests everything that he uses. Nothing is left to chance. As for an enlarging lens, he uses a 480mm (I forget exact focal length) Apo El Nikkor. Very few of these were made.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    he was using a Calumet (18lbs) later model, black 8x10 on a sturdy, carbon fiber "survey" tripod.
    That must have been pretty cool visiting his studio.I got some cool tips from him on our phone conversations, like cutting the back rail down on the C-1 for easier use with wide lenses.His tripod is not a surveyor tripod, but in fact a very very expensive Sachtler cine tripod and fluid head.Here is a pretty good pic of him and his rig.