Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Leightweight long lens over 600 for 4x5 / 5x7 suggestions?

Leightweight long lens over 600 for 4x5 / 5x7 suggestions?

Sounds promising. How much extension does the standard Wista extender give you?

«How much extension does the standard Wista extender give you?»

Arne,

It is 10 cm long. The inner diameter is 8cm and it weighs 350g.

I wasted some time doing some (useless?) entertainment: Now it's your turn to waste more time reading it! ;-)

<a href="http://www.paulschilliger.com/Temporaires/lens_test"</a>

Not sure about my html, so here it is again:

http://www.paulschilliger.com/Temporaires/lens_test

This is very interesting !

Could you give some more information about the converter "hardware" ? Could a good machinist could adapt it to "any" large format lens ?

Ken,

Givin' me hard work, hey! I posted some scans from the Horseman catalogue. Yes, a "decent" machnist can do that very easily. But I am not pushing anyone in purchasing this item *new* for this purpose! It's a bit pricey...

Cheers

Paul,

You've now piqued my interest with this post. You are using the converter on a 450mm Fujinon C, correct? Do you see the possibility to use this on the 600C also?

There are many, many 8x10 shooters out there who would like a long lens for their work, and spending the money on the 1200T is probably not the best way to have it happen. If this converter idea could be used for 8x10 work intended for contact printing or for only low enlargement ratios, then it may be a very useful approach indeed.

The sharpness certianly appears to be good enough for contact printing, but your samples are from the sweet spot in the center, so it's not clear whether that quality can be expected out further from the center of the optical axis.

Any thoughts?

---Michael

Some additional thoughts on the Horseman converter.

First, for those not familiar with this beast, it is designed to use with any of the modern 150 mm lenses to work as a 2x converter and it does that extremely well. Given the way it mounts you should be able to use it without modification with any lens that uses a #0 shutter (I will try it with my 240 Fujinon A later today). Difficult to tell from the scan but paul's results look awfully good. When the converter is used as designed with a 150 mm lens it is extremely difficult to tell the results from those obtained with a 300 mm lens. I have done side-by-sides with the Horseman converter/150 Apo Symmar combo v. a 300 Fujinon A and an uneducated viewer will often not see any difference, even hard for us guys to tell.

Paul, would you share yoru modifications with us, obviously I, as an owner of the beast, am interested. Do I assume correctly tht it is merely an adaptor ring to permit mounting on a #1 or a #3 shutter?

For those interested in purchasing one of these, they were discontinued about two years ago but are still relativelyeasy to find in Japan and you should be able to get one from Midwest in the range of $250 give or take.

Michael,

Interesting thought! I think it should. You would probably need 100 to 120cm of bellows to place the converter far enough from the back to ensure a wide image circle. I tried projecting the image from the window to the wall with the 600 and the converter the other day, and it worked. The converter was placed far from the lens, maybe 30 to 40 cm if I recall. I have no camera that can do the test but what I thought could be appropriate would be a monorail with an intermediate standard. The converter should be fitted in the center of the frame of the intermediate standard, and so it would be possible to adjust independently the lens-to-converter distance and the lens-to-film distance, evaluating the best enlargement ratio and image circle. Worth a try!

Paul

Paul,

Actually, thinking about it, the 450C would probably be long enough for my purposes, did you say that resulted in about a 1400mm lens?

What is the flange focal distance when you are focused at infinity?

---Michael

Ted,

The mount will not work straight on the Fujinon A 240. It will require quite a bit of an extension. The place where it needs be placed is focal dependent. But it will work very well with the 240 once you have a custom attachment. From there, all you need is a tube wide enough to avoid flare and a fitting on both ends. Do not expect it to beat a Fujinon 450 though... It should be soft in comparison unless you are lucky and find the "sweet spot"!

Michael,

I was going to suggest the 450 for I think I should do well. I have set it for my longest extension, a little above 710mm, but with an additional 10 or 20cm, the image circle would be larger. Even at 700, it could be enough to cover 5x7 but I would have to check on film and my 5x7 camera is just not long enough...

If someone owns one of those monsters and can test it, it would be interesting to know!