Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamonix 4x5" N-2 camera resell value.

Re: Chamonix 4x5" N-2 camera resell value.

I think the light weight of the Chamonix will help it retain a higher percentage of value than many other LF cameras. So if weight is top concern, I would go that way. I just ordered one myself, primarily for the weight. I had been using a Toyo 45A and Zone VI tripod for over 30 years, so I sold those off. If you are young and strong and won't be hauling the kit around a lot, I would go used but heavier, or maybe used Chamonix 45N-1.

It'll be worth $15US including world-wide shipping... I'm first in line to buy.

BruceD

If you are not carrying the camera in case or backpack for a long distance, I would second the recommendations here to get a used camera first. A monorail or graflex could be good choices. Again, if you are not carrying the equipment any significant distance don't for the lightest tripod you can find. A heavier, used tripod will serve your needs better (more stable) and be less expensive.

If you are backpacking or walking a significant distance with the equipment I agree that lighter is better. My 4x5 for hiking is a Wisner Pocket Expedition at about 3.5 lbs. I got the Wisner several years ago for about $850. For shots where I am not carrying a 4x5 any distance, I use a Horseman 45LE. It is joy to use compared to the Wisner, but, it weighs about 14 lbs! I have a Hakuba carbon fiber tripod that I use for the Wisner and the Horseman. However, when I want a truly stable platform for the Horseman I use a Zone VI lightweight with a Majestic gearhead.

Hope this is of use. Good luck. Working with a view camera is fun!