Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altman Camera

Altman Camera

Does anyone remember Altman Camera in Chicago. I dealt with them many times in the early 1970's.

Re: Altman Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Roberts View Post
    Does anyone remember Altman Camera in Chicago. I dealt with them many times in the early 1970's.
    I remember them. I bought a new Deardorff from them in 1969 shortly after I got out of the army. I remember their ads eventually disappeared from Pop and Modern Photography but just when I could only make a wild guess.
    David

I use to visit them in the late fifties. I was a young lad and I don't think they took me seriously, it was more like a jewelry store than Central Camera or even General camera. I also remember a camera store near Maxwell Street, cannot remember the name. I still buy via Mail Order from Central Camera once in a while.

falth j

I remember Altman Camera, Shutan Camera, Central Camera, Standard Camera, and about six other used or new camera stores within about a mile of each other in the downtown Chicago area curing early 1970's.
    The store I remember had escalators to all three camera floors.

Of particular remembrance was an old musty smelling store about 6 blocks north of Altman/Shutan, run by an old couple with about six cats.

They had tables and tables of cameras, lenses and camera paraphernalia, many, many wooden types, including about everything and every kind of used Deardorff and other older makes of cameras you could imagine..

Old glass show cases, full of stuff I could never fathom.

Never mind, that many of the glass showcases had sleeping cats inside, and would often snarl and meow loudly if you happened to bump the showcase, scaring the unsuspecting, hell out you.

Being elderly, they we’re particularly cheerful to explain to a young unknowing thirty-some… the use of all their accumulations, unless, of course you were inclined for them to wrap it to be hauled away.

Does anyone remember the name of this store or the old couple that ran it?

Don't know the name, but I believe it was on Dearborn street near Delaware. Out-of-the-way spot for photo stuff back then.

For me, Darkroom Aids was the mecca in Chicago. I had my first exhibition there in the upstairs gallery.

john

I remember Altman Camera well. I bought a Rolleiflex there in the middle 60s and other equipment later. I had to be in the loop fairly often and I used to visit Altman's just to browse.

The rumor I heard was that the owner closed the store rather than having to deal with collective bargaining attempts by his employees.

After they closed I just switched my browsing to Central Camera further down on Wabash. Central Camera is still there. I bought something there relatively recently.

Altman's was billed as the largest camera store in the world and I can believe it. As mentioned it had escalators to three floors of gear. It was like a Macy's of just photo gear. I seem to remember that the first floor was all still equipment, the second was darkroom and the third motion picture and lighting.

I bought many items from them.

I remember they closed because Mr Altman was getting older and the union was trying to organize the employs. Mr Altman decided to shut the store down rather than deal with them.

Here's a link to the union dispute http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...11/319/398559/

I also found an article that Mr Altman passed away at age 84 in 2002.

Dave Karp

I loved that place. My first enlarged came from there, a Meopta. I saved a long time for it. For me, that place was like Disneyland. Used to go there with my dad. He told me the same story about the union when he explained why they closed.

I used that enlarger until I was 40!

Just a couple of doors down Wabash is Central Camera. After going in Altmans I went down the street to Central and almost laughed at how small it was. Helix was another institution in Chicago and both Helix an Central are still in business.

One of the most amazing places I've been in besides Altmans was Lens and Repro in NYC in the 80's. Ken Hanson had a great place too. I've never been in B&H bug imagine its amazing. The thing about Lens & Repro and Ken Hanson was the atmosphere. Especially L&R was like a three floor barn full of mostly used and classic LF gear. L&R is still there but talking to them a couple of years ago I think they cleaned up the place a d ditched a lot of old less popular stuff.

The Lens & Repro web site says the company has closed. Some of the employees went over to Calumet.

Keith