Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak discontinue E6 films

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Kodak discontinue E6 films

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    She told me me Rodney is a Fuji sponsored artist, but that Fuji was discontinuing it's E6 film, and that any more Fuji E6 that's available is already out in the market place.
    I was at Glazer's on Friday, and the guys there said that when Kodak says a film is discontinued, that means that there isn't any more in the warehouse. When Fuji says a film is discontinued, there may still be master rolls to cut. Since Fuji hasn't announced anything, I'm guessing that there is still film. I just ordered a box of Provia from B&H. If there's some in stock two weeks from now, I'll buy some more.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

The only official announcements from Fuji I'm aware of are from Sept and only mention Astia as far as 4x5

The discontinued films include the following:

Negative film
    Sheet film (large format)
    Fujicolor PRO160NC 5x4 (20 pieces)
    Fujicolor Pro 160NC 5x4 Quick load type 20 sheet pack

Reversal (slide film)
    135 (35mm)
    Fujichrome Fuji Sensia III 100 24exp
    Fujichrome Fuji Sensia III 100 36exp
    Fujichrome Tungsten T64 36exp

120 (medium-format)
    Fujichrome Astia 100F 12exp 5 pack

220 size
    Fujichrome Astia 100F 24exp 5 pack

Sheet film (large format)
    Fujichrome Astia 100F 5x4 20 sheet pack
    Fujichrome Astia 100F 10x8 20 sheet pack
    Fujichrome Astia 100F 5x4 quick load 20 sheet pack

Black & white negative film - 135 (35mm)
    Fujifilm Neopan SS 36exp
    Fujichrome Velvia 100F in 35mm, 120, 220 and sheet film will continue to be produced along with other current films.

I just don't see how Fuji would all of a sudden discontinue E-6 films...

Fuji sells the most E-6 in the US. I have three 20 sheet boxes of 8x10 Provia in the fridge. If someone can prove that Fuji is discontinuing the stuff, then I'm buying more!

Anyone notice how 4x5 Provia and Astia cost more now at B&H (from $39 to $43)?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Google translation of FujiFilm news page
    Let's see:
    "Negative film "Fujicolor REALA ACE" 35mm color negative film for Pro End-of-Sales Guidance"
    I can't find anything about E-6 film.

However, the Japanese can be a bit harsh:
    Before purchasing the product from Fujifilm wilt give everyday, Thank you very much.

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigetaka Komori), you will be discontinued as soon as our inventory is gone, the "Fujicolor REALA ACE" for 35mm film negatives & professional color negative film.

Silver halide film under market conditions will continue to shrink, while providing efficiency and productivity in the future review of the product lineup, will proceed to create systems available to continue the photographic film.
    Upon actual purchase, please contact our local dealer.
    To everyone, but will inconvenience, thank you enough for your understanding.
    Wow, talk about end-of-life!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Drew Wiley

Chris - all that's discontinued in Fuji sheet film is Astia and Quickloads. Overall Astia has been a very slow seller. It was an excellent film for those who understood its potential,
    but never caught on like the typical contrast Provia or punched-up Velvia. Individual dealers' stock of this always tends to fluctuate. No need for panic. Just buy an extra box
    of two. Another misleading statement on this thread is the notion that Ektar is being discontinued. It's a popular product and even 8x10 is not discontinued - it just requires a
    volume order now. Someone like B&H could order it anytime and stock it themselves, or a
    group purchase could be made. Until Kodak is really six feet under there's no sense in making a bigger fuss out of all this than actually exists. I don't personally regard color neg
    film as a substitute for chromes; they're just different. I've shot chromes for decades and
    have had no trouble making very high quality prints from there. You just get used to what
    kinds of subjects are suitable and have the right lighting ratio. I learned how to do that
    almost half a century ago. It get instinctive after awhile. Now I'm shooting mostly negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    I talked with Rodney Lough Jr.s wife a couple weeks ago, and she said Rodney was now shooting 50% digital because because his stash of Fuji E6 is running low, and after it's gone it will be 100% digital.She told me me Rodney is a Fuji sponsored artist, but that Fuji was discontinuing it's E6 film, and that any more Fuji E6 that's available is already out in the market place.

I'm a little confused as I talked to Jeff at Badger just the other day, and he says they have both Provia and Velvia on order with an expected arrival around may.I have never shot color film period in 8x10, and have 10 sheets of Provia and 10 sheets of Velvia 100f in the fridge.I'm thinking maybe I should sell the E6 and buy some Portra 160 instead.Don't want to fall in love with a film that's not available after 10 shots.
    Chris, Rodney shoots with 8x10 Astia...and Astia is no more. I think that's why he's switching over to MF digital backs.

Rodney talks about some of his technique in this video(starts @ 0:22:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M08PVdadOMw

-Dan

Picture Snappin' Fool Black Lightning's Avatar

I have shot some chromes in the past in 35mm, 6x6 and 4x5. The 35mm slides are the only ones I was ever able to enjoy through a projector. I have a while book full of 6x6 and 4x5 as well as a few fresh boxes of 4x5 in the fridge which I anticipate will never see any light other than that of a light box. That is, until I get a real scanner which doesn't completely make sense to me.

Drew Wiley

Thanks for the link Daniel, but there Rodney claims once all his Astia is gone he'll switch to 8x10 Provia. MF digitial just doesn't make sense if his
    goal is to maintain an 8X10 level of detail in really big prints. But I'd did like his analogy that a crescent wrench wasn't invented as a murder weapon, even though someone has probably used it that way, so similarly,
    PS wasn't originally invented to murder images, but people have chosen to do so. I suspect I recognize a couple of the major culprits he refers to.

Ahh ok, his wife must have meant Astia is no more.I watched that whole interview (thanks for the link) and caught the section where he mentions going to Provia once his Astia runs out, guess he changed his mind and has decided to go with that 80mp back instead.Anyway I got his book 'Wilderness Collections' and half the images are Velvia.If someone asked me to pick out which were Astia and which were Velvia in the book I wouldn't have a clue, but I'm not the sharpest tack when it comes to color photography.Maybe I'll just get that new Nokia cell phone and call it a day