Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Kodak discontinue E6 films

Re: Kodak discontinue E6 films

I just googled Rodney Lough and realized that it's due to him that I'm shooting large format. A number of years ago I wandered into his gallery on Pier 39. I'd just really started getting into photography; when I saw his prints I instantly knew I eventually wanted a large format camera so I could create prints of that scale and quality. I'd completely forgotten his name until now, thanks! While seeing his stuff gave me the bug it was Charles Cramer's images that sealed the deal.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

E100G is king in E-6 when humans are part of the scene, at least to me. BTW, B&H got more 8x10 in stock.
    Last edited by onnect17; 6-Mar-2012 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    I just googled Rodney Lough and realized that it's due to him that I'm shooting large format. A number of years ago I wandered into his gallery on Pier 39. I'd just really started getting into photography; when I saw his prints I instantly knew I eventually wanted a large format camera so I could create prints of that scale and quality. I'd completely forgotten his name until now, thanks! While seeing his stuff gave me the bug it was Charles Cramer's images that sealed the deal.
    I think Cramer taught Rodney the whole digital work flow thing.I too wasn't even interested in doing color till I saw that pier 39 gallery.I like Burkett a lot, even own a print, but after seeing Rodneys work it inspired me that I didn't need to learn the whole Ciba thing to get a large fine color print.

B&W film will always be produced.

There is simply no other alternative for archival preservation than B&W separation negatives.
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Drew Wiley

Maybe Rodney's wife was surmising. Best just to email Rodney himself. Makes no difference
    really. Provia and Velvia is what is going to be left. Can't imagine any kind of digital capture
    at this point in history being a realistic substitute for 8x10. I've driven by one of his galleries frequently but never walked in. Through the window looks a little too Sierra Clubby
    for my personal interest. I'm an outdoor photographer too, but am more interested in perceiving the majestic in the commonplace. Guess I identify more with people like Brett
    Weston, who ended up photographing mud cracks instead of scenery per se.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Maybe Rodney's wife was surmising. Best just to email Rodney himself. Makes no difference
    really. Provia and Velvia is what is going to be left. Can't imagine any kind of digital capture
    at this point in history being a realistic substitute for 8x10. I've driven by one of his galleries frequently but never walked in. Through the window looks a little too Sierra Clubby
    for my personal interest. I'm an outdoor photographer too, but am more interested in perceiving the majestic in the commonplace. Guess I identify more with people like Brett
    Weston, who ended up photographing mud cracks instead of scenery per se.
    Talked with them today and did confirm its the lack of Astia driving him to Digital.Anyway I've never been into color that much period.Definitely I identify more with Brett, Edward, Merg Ross, etc. myself.Never even shot a color neg or chrome.Its just the Rodney Lough Jr. gallery is the only one my wife is willing to spend any time in, so I sacrifice for her

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    E100G is king in E-6 when humans are part of the scene, at least to me. BTW, B&H got more 8x10 in stock.
    agreed. But B+H is now out of stock again

-Dan

Should've bought more E100G when it was $119, free shipping. That was in January... oh well, can't predict the future.

But honestly, who here doesn't like Provia? I think it has more DR/shadow detail than E100G, is fine for skin tones, and you get 20 sheets for just 30 dollars more than Kodak.

I want 8x10 Astia, but that ain't happening. Why is 4x5 Astia still available?

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    agreed. But B+H is now out of stock again

-Dan
    Dan,
    You should enter your email in the "notify" at B&H. They should receive more E100G in the next few days. I can't imagine (but possible) some party will be able to gather the remaining stock in less than 30 days. Worst case scenario you can count with one box from my own "collection". \/
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jonathan View Post
    Should've bought more E100G when it was $119, free shipping. That was in January... oh well, can't predict the future.

But honestly, who here doesn't like Provia? I think it has more DR/shadow detail than E100G, is fine for skin tones, and you get 20 sheets for just 30 dollars more than Kodak.

I want 8x10 Astia, but that ain't happening. Why is 4x5 Astia still available?
    I don't really like Provia that much. It's too contrasty much of the time, and the saturation, while less than Velvia or E100VS, still looks exaggerated to me, at least in anything but drab light.

But I'm not really a shooter of LF transparencies anyway. 35mm, yes, for projection, and I might get a MF projector too, but for LF I am shooting with the aim of prints, and with both Ilfochrome and type R paper gone, I'm really not interested in shooting transparencies in LF anymore. I'm 90% B&W in LF; the other 10% will be color neg.

Now if I could still get Astia (well, I can, for now, in 4x5) AND Ilfochrome, that might be different.

In 35mm, I'm going to stock up on E100G for projection. I like it better than Provia. I like Astia slightly better still but it's long gone in 35mm except for exorbitantly priced rolls on eBay.