Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How about going headless for landscape?

How about going headless for landscape?

When I shoot landscape, pretty much always I want a level tripod top, to support a level camera. If I am willing to live with this restriction, what use is the tripod head to me? I've tried mounting my very light camera directly on a set of ultra light legs, and I don't see any disadvantages, beyond losing a couple inches off the maximum height. The tripod is more stable, and lighter and shorter folded up for transport.

Are there any other disadvantages that I am overlooking? I have wimpy shoulders, so I am putting together the lightest possible kit for travel, willing to make some compromises for weight and compactness.

TIA,

I've tried this (I think I started a thread on the topic somewhere long ago, before photo.net), and it works for a lot of things, but if I'm out in the field, sometimes I want to point the camera at something on the ground, and for that a tilt head (or something equally cumbersome, like a copy arm) is a necessity.

A tripod head is a must for the exact reason mentioned by David. Murpheys Law says that as soon as you leave the head at home, everything photographic will be located at every conceivable angle but the horizontal.

Here is a suggestion and don't take this personal. Find a way to strengthen your shoulders to at least maintain what strength you have and hopefully improve it and your stamina. The local YMCA or a gym or an at home routine. Aging is a bitch and we as LF photographers need to consider our physical fitness if only because the equipment is inherently heavy. It is obviously important to be cognizant of intelligently managing your equipment weight without making logistical compromises such as a tripod head.

Good Luck

Christopher, the very first step for me, lo these last four decades, in LF photography has always been to level the camera. Then if I want to look up at a mountain or skyscraper, I raise the front standard. If I want to look down onto a tabletop setup, I lower the front standard.

I have therefore reached the same conclusion about tripod heads you have. Great minds DO run along the same path. Although I must sheepishly admit it took that ten-pound Bogen geared monster head to enlighten me.

My latest acquisition is a Manfrotto video tripod with an integral leveling head. I set up the tripod as level as possible (without being meticulously anal) and fine-tune it with the built-in ball-socket thingie.

There’s not much on the ground that excites me these days. ;0)

I too came to a similar conclusion, mostly because the head is often a factor of weakness even if the tripod itself is very stable, and first and foremost because I wanted something light. I use now a carbon cine tripod and levelling bowl from Gitzo. I find it a blessing every time I use it. It is rock solid, much more stable than the heavier Gitzo 410 with Linhof Pro 3 head, and light, less than 3,5Kg. The bowl is not quite as smooth as a bowl head, but it is easy enough to operate for precise adjustments. It provides 15 degrees in all directions which is more than enough for most situations and there is always the possibillity to adjust the legs. I fitted a Manfrotto quick release on the bowl. It can be easily unscruwed with the tightening lever to replace it with a cine head or a bowl head. Maybe not the best combo for studio work, but certainly great for outdoors.

How is this for crazy: I am building my 12x20 (rigid body, hey, I only have one lens to cover that format) to use three monopods instead of a tripod. If I am going a field with a rig of this size I need it to be simple, light and stable (I hope to get a wider stance this way too). I hope the contact prints are worth it.

Cheers,

For your information, Gitzo just released a new series of tripods with a built-in leveler ball-head that just adds 200g. I was shown a prototype of it when I stopped at the Paris factory last April, and it seemed fairly solid although not as smooth as a ball-head. I wanted to buy one, but I needed something for a backpacking trip last fall, and this new tripod wasn't released yet.

I've been doing this for years, not so much for weight or stability, but because something always seems to be first in line for the $250 a J-250 head would cost. With a Ries I can get reasonable angles by leveling the tripod and pointing one leg foreward (to point the camera down) or backward, then extend that leg out at a greater angle.

Paul, is that the Gitzo 1325V that you are using? I am debating getting one, mainly because it has spikes, not just rubber feet. How well do those spikes work? And does the part going into the bowl come with the tripod?

Arne,

Yes, it is the G1325V with the G1321 levelling bowl. I grabbed one in a sale, it just had some minor scratches. Should I have bought one full price, there is also the G 1348 who is designed to be transformed to take either a flat plateau or the bowl and has four sections instead of 3. But now I think that the 3 sections G1325 was the best, only two operations on each leg and the overall size is still compact. The new carbon Gitzos have been improved in many ways: 3 angle positions as always, but smoother, the handles for tightening the legs are much larger and easy, and the spiked feets are really good. You screw the rubber ring in and there is a strong and long enough spike that makes the tripod much more steady on unstable ground. And the best: I was wrong in my previous post. It only weighs two kilos and the bowl 1/2 kg. At two 1/2 Kg, it is stiffer than any aluminum tripod with head weighing twice as much. I use it with a 600mm and with the Technika 5x7 as well, it is very steady and would suit any 8x10 as well. The folded size is 70cm with the bowl and max height is 160 with the legs not fully spread. Carbon is also much more comfortable to carry in the winter. I'll send a picture on your email.

Paul