Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some powerful strobe help

Scott Davis

Re: Need some powerful strobe help

If you want portable yet reasonably powerful, take a look at the Calumet Travelites - they're made by Bowens, so they take all of the gazillions of Bowens accessories. They've got 750 w/s versions that you can pick up used for not much. I've had my set for well over a decade (probably 14 years now, maybe 15) and they're still working just fine. Granted, I don't stress them out. You can get f22 at ISO 100 out of them in a softbox, but you'll have to get the softbox pretty close. I used them for shooting 4x5 portraits often and they worked great for that. I've since upgraded to a set of Calumet Elite 2400 w/s packs and heads because I'm shooting bigger format stuff a lot (anything from whole plate to 14x17). With 750 w/s, you can also double them up into a single umbrella/softbox and just slave the second one (they have built-in optical slaves) to get you that extra stop of output.

Speedotron 4803cx are great. I really like the range of power and they last for ever. I picked mine up for $350.00 and 102 heads are from $100.00 to $150.00 used. I went with Speedotron because a rental place near me rents 102 heads for $20.00 a day. You might check into renting before you buy.

The packs are large but if you put it on a cart it's easy to move around. You might also look in to a Speedotron 805 pack they are smaller and can even be used with a vagabound battery pack.

I really appreciate all of the responses.

Scott the Calumet Travelites look pretty sweet and cheap. It does add some complication buy is there any reason I cant just get two 750 or 800s and gang them up? It will be cheaper for sure.
    david

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-lite-Dy...#ht_500wt_1413

Buy a Dynalite 2000 w/s pack, a 4040 head, and a medium Beauty Dish all for about a grand used. Then you could shoot the kinds of shots you're attempting at f/45 with a nice separation from the background. Maybe use the old moonlights to throw a pass of light on the background and you're golden. The Dynas will be at least a stop more efficient than the Speedos, so figure it's the equivalent of a 4800 w/s Speedo....

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    I really appreciate all of the responses.

Scott the Calumet Travelites look pretty sweet and cheap. It does add some complication buy is there any reason I cant just get two 750 or 800s and gang them up? It will be cheaper for sure.
    Sure, the light adds. How easy is it to mount two units on one modifier?

What Frank said. Forget about trying to stack monolights; no point going with a kludge when you can get equipment better designed for the task. The Dynalites give you a lot of light for the money, all the more so if you can get them used. If a single pack and head still isn't enough, when budget allows you can gain another stop by adding a twin-lamp head and driving it - conveniently and safely, as designed - with two generators.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Sure, the light adds. How easy is it to mount two units on one modifier?
    I built a dbl mount for the Briteks so that both equally point into the umbrella. it works fine for what it is.

I feel beaten down

Looks like the only way to do this right is to pony up and buy a big pack and a big head or 2. I guess in the long run it is better to go ahead and start building a kit now.

Don't any of you guys bid on the dynalite pack!
    david

Watch out, Frank might start a DIY giant flash thread.

Ha well there are plenty of options and even doubling up will work in this case. The problem with doubling up is that in some cases you will get two separate shadows that will look goofy. Frankly I would work on moving the light closer and focusing with greater control and confidence, and shooting at f/16. But power and overkill are always good too!

FWIIW: I have been screwing around with bulbs quite a bit outdoors. I have a 4 bulb kit and a 2 bulb kit. At 50' I can hit f32 with 4 bulbs @ EI 200 or f45 with a second pop of the 4. THAT is some light

Like I told Frank last year...I am on my way to flash powder
    david