at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Eleanor Callahan RIP

Thank you for sharing.

One of my cherished memories, is the evening that I met Eleanor and Harry at their apartment in Chicago. The year was 1959, and I had just met Aaron Siskind a few days before, on my post high school road trip across the US. Aaron gave me a place to stay, and one evening asked if I would like to meet Harry Callahan. I had heard of him, and responded, "yes, very much". Aaron drove us over and it was an interesting evening. I came away with a most favorable impression of Eleanor, and was treated to several hundred of Harry's photographs.

My sincere condolences to all of Eleanor's family and friends.

Thanks for posting. I wrote a small personal reflection on my blog after seeing your post.

--Darin

Thanks Don for being my messenger. One of the first books I had that pointed me in the direction of using large format was a booklet entitled, "Eleanor." It seems we are loosing all of our classics.

Very sorry to hear of this but thanks for the information. I think I have more books of Harry Callahan's work than any other photographer. His career might very well not have been what it was if he hadn't had a 24/7 wife-model who was so willing to be placed in some of the unflattering positions in which he put her. Not to mention her financial support for many years.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I saw a Callahan retrospective in Paris two years ago and besides the marvelous quality of his work the thing that one took away was Mrs Callahan . All about her from her lovely figure to her willingness to be photographed by Harry in any way shape way or form because as she said ,she new "he will do the right thing".
    Her image will remain for ever in those who love photography and her goodness will make us all better.

Since I live in Atlanta I was able to meet both Harry and Eleanor on several different occasions. Harry was very humble and sort of low key, at least at public venues. I always wanted to go shooting with Harry but never had the chance. Eleanor was always very charming and came across as a warm hearted individual.

All things must pass ...

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Since I live in Atlanta I was able to meet both Harry and Eleanor on several different occasions. Harry was very humble and sort of low key, at least at public venues. I always wanted to go shooting with Harry but never had the chance. Eleanor was always very charming and came across as a warm hearted individual.

All things must pass ...