Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime slr lens on a crown graphic??!

Question Prime slr lens on a crown graphic??!

Is it possible?

I've grown weary of the dreary digital age but I've got a couple very nice prime nikon lenses an im wondering (after googling high and low) if there exists or is even Possible a a lens board/adapter that allows for me to utilize my prime lenses on my grown graphic?

Any answers would be wonderful, especially if it includes a, 'yes! And heres a link'

Thank you very much for any information.

Re: Prime slr lens on a crown graphic??!

I think it highly unlikely.

The flange focal distance on Nikon F-mount lenses is 46.5mm, which puts the lensboard awfully close to the film plane.

Then there's the angle of view and the image circle diameter. The lenses would certainly not cover 4x5 or even close.

Does the Crown have a focal plane shutter (I think not)? Nikon SLR lenses do not have shutters.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Deardorff Sales and service

Are you thinking of using a 50mm Nikkor from your 35mm Nikon? These lenses cover 1x1.5 inches and will not cover 4x5 inches.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

There isn't an adapter with a shutter built in where you could just plug a slr lens onto it? Enabling the prime lens to be utilized on a large format.

Benjamin,

You need to review my previous response, then do some research to understand the terminology.

You clearly do not understand basic lens functionality and specifications.
    Understanding those subjects is critical to selecting lenses for LF work.

- Leigh

Which lenses? The focal length will determine if you can use them. I'd say just about any of the Nikkors from 240mm to 75mm should work. As you may know you will have to use the ground glass back for focusing unless you have a cam that matches the focal length of your Nikkor. You will have to locate the appropriate lens boards to use the lenses on the Crown. If you have barrel lenses (process, reproduction or enlarging lenses) without a shutter you will have some difficulty as you know the Crown does not have a shutter either.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Benjamin,

You need to review my previous response, then do some research to understand the terminology.

You clearly do not understand basic lens functionality and specifications.
    Understanding those subjects is critical to selecting lenses for LF work.

- Leigh
    Understanding basic camera funtions, all you need is apature, light, and a light sensitive surface. With that in mind, what is stopping a large format camera being fitted with, for example a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AF-D? A shutter is needed, which could go between the lense and the bellows. Really the flange focal distance doesnt matter if the adapter is build correctly to allow it. Realistically, the biggest issue i could think of is the weight of the larger lenses. Possibly an unfortable set up, especially with a hand held crown graphic. If the adapter doesnt exist then so be it but mathimatically it's viable. Am i wrong? Am I thinking too far out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjaminxon View Post
    Understanding basic camera funtions, all you need is apature, light, and a light sensitive surface... Am i wrong?
    Benjamin,

Yes, you certainly are wrong.

You are so far out in left field that it's impossible to continue the conversation.

As I said previously, you know absolutely nothing about what is required to use a lens on an LF camera,
    and since you're not willing to learn, I shan't waste any more time on the subject.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Benjamin,

Yes, you certainly are wrong.

You are so far out in left field that it's impossible to continue the conversation.

As I said previously, you know absolutely nothing about what is required to use a lens on an LF camera,
    and since you're not willing to learn, I shan't waste any more time on the subject.

- Leigh
    What implies me not willing to learn? I'm now looking for more, other than 'It won't work.' What would it produce? Why couldn't you make it happen? Best case scenario things would be blurry?

The flange focal distance on Nikon F-mount lenses is 46.5mm, which puts the lensboard awfully close to the film plane.
    Awfully close? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flange-focal-distance1.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	69014 Why couldn't the adapter allow the lens to sit farther away?

Then there's the angle of view and the image circle diameter. The lenses would certainly not cover 4x5 or even close.
    In my head it makes sense, but without sitting down to do the math I can't point out the specifics. Found this while refusing to learn :-p
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/why.html:
    The equivalent of a 24mm in 35mm is a 75/90 lens in 4x5, a 120mm lens in 5x7. Depth of field is a serious problem. The cameras movements become *necessary* to put everything in focus, and even though some subjects cannot be focussed entirely. Start thinking f32 where you thought f5.6 !

What would happen if you were to open the lens entirely and appropriate the correct distance to make it all work. How much of the 5x4 would you lose to a 24mm 2.8 lens mounted to the front?
    Does the Crown have a focal plane shutter (I think not)? Nikon SLR lenses do not have shutters.
    We covered the fact that there could be a shutter sitting right behind the lens. built into the adapter.

Why don't you come and visit me in left field. It's warm and cozy..

Hi Ben,

Every lens projects a circular field of an image on the film plane. That is called the image circle, and every lens has an image circle diameter determined by it design. If the image circle is not big enough to cover the format of the film, you will end up with a circular image in the center of the film, and the rest of the film will be black (actually clear, the print will be black). When people speak about the "coverage" of a particular lens, they mean will the image circle cover the particular format. Some lens will cover 4x5, but if used on 5x7 the image will have rounded corners because the circle is not big enough to cover the format. Lenses designed for 35mm only need an image circle big enough to cover a 35mm negative, so if you mount one on a 4x5 you will get a small circular image in the center of your film. Try it, and you will be able to see it on the ground glass. Or take a lens and hold it near a light wall across from a brightly lit window and you should get a circular image of whats outside the window projected on your wall. The size of the circle will tell you what the lens will cover.

Coverage is affected by distance and f-stop to some degree as well, so people will often talk about a lens with soft corners unless stopped well down.

Hope this helps.

Best, Tim