Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable 90mm?

Re: Affordable 90mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Math View Post
    The Super Angulon is good, but if you want cheap, then the regular Schneider-Kreuznach Angulon 90mm f6.8 does the job just fine. Little to no movements, but the lens is rather sharp and easily found dirt-cheap.
    Some earlier ones are very poor and definitely not sharp as many of us have found first hand. The later ones are OK but it took 3 before I found one that is a good sharp performer.

Ian

I had a Schneider SA 90/8 that cost $200. I think that's really cheap, but "cheap" might mean something different to others. If the OP is looking for a $100 lens maybe that's not cheap after all.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

There WAS an Ilex "clone" of the Super-Angulon, it could be cheap.

I would wait and search for a SA 90/8. I was patient and found a late, mint beauty on ebay for a little over two hundred. They are out there. The funny thing about ebay is that you never know when it is your time to luck out. One day there will be twenty people bidding up to the stars for a particular lens, and then the next day the same lens in the same condition isn't getting any bids. It is those sleepy periods when you can snatch up your lens at a good price. Don't be over anxious, sit back and watch the item until the last few seconds, then zap in your bid, especially if there is only one bid. Because the guy with the one bid may assume that no one is interested in the lens. The other bidder won't have time to outbid you unless he has a snipe program set up. The long and short of it, I won my beautiful, mint Super Angulon 90/8 for a song.

Exactly. I got my current 90, a Nikon f/8 model, for less than most people pay for their newer Schneider 90/8. I sniped about 5 on ebay before I got one at a heck of a deal.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Landscape Addict

I've offered the the original poster my 90/8 Calumet branded Super Angulon for $200 plus shipping... I've had my fun with it, would be good to see it go to a loving home rather than sitting in my "Spare Gear" bag at home...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

What do you think of Caltar II*N 90mm F6.8?
    Any limitations on movements?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward (Halifax,NS) View Post
    This is a beautiful lens but I have not seen one for under $400.
    I owned one, too, when I was shooting 4x5. It was a great lens.

There is one for sale right now in the forums. (I have no connection to the seller.)

90mm f/8 WA Geronars come up from time to time. They are not terribly expensive. I think the image circle is about 170mm so it might be tighter on 4x5 than some of the other suggestions.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Some earlier ones are very poor and definitely not sharp as many of us have found first hand. The later ones are OK but it took 3 before I found one that is a good sharp performer.

Ian
    It's not age that matters, but how the old ones have been stored. Angulons should always lie flat, especially in hot climates. The inner elements in each cell are only held by the cement, and old Canada Balsam tends to "creep" if the lens is stored "vertically". My own 1939-model is just as sharp as my 1959-model.