Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Source of Dirt Cheap 18x24cm holders!!!!

Source of Dirt Cheap 18x24cm holders!!!!

I was considering re-entering 8x10 and was looking for holders. I stumbled across super-cheap 18x24cm holders, which are NEW and are £12 / $19 each, so 4.5x cheaper than new 8x10 holders in the US.... I would imagine this is an effort to clear out holders they did not expect anyone to buy, but 18x24 film is easily available in Europe.

Now I have to buy the 8x10 camera, because I bought rather a lot of them and it has saved me an absolute fortune over buying even used 8x10 holders and at least I know these will all be light tight! Additionally, the aspect ratio of 18x24 is close to where I would end up cropping to anyway in many cases, so its just a case of marking up the ground glass.

For you Brits and Europeans, this is well worth considering. I dont know how many are left, but he had Lisco Regal and Fidelity Elite double boxes at 'More than 10 available' for each. I bought 10 of each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bowens_uk/...4.l1581&_pgn=2

Re: Source of Dirt Cheap 18x24cm holders!!!!

Nice!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm assuming these won't work with 8x10 film though...

Daniel,

No they won't. The holders are the same external size, but the film area is a touch smaller on the inside. Much nicer aspect ratio and still readily available. If anyone in the US wanted to buy a bunch for use on longer road trips, I still think there would be some sense in it because it is affordable to have a lot of them. You could either cut the film down or make a special order. Foma, Efke/Adox and Ilford still make plenty of film in this size and I am sure it could be ordered from B&H etc.

Its nice to see that ordered from Europe the film is commensurately cheaper than 8x10 due to the smaller area: 80 sq" compared to (9.45" x 7.1") - 67 sq".

It also seems that Foma film ordered from Europe can be considerably cheaper than even Freestyle's Arista Edu Ultra. Boy, am I glad I looked into this.

"For you Brits and Europeans, this is well worth considering. I dont know how many are left, but he had Lisco Regal and Fidelity Elite double boxes at 'More than 10 available' for each. I bought 10 of each."

Many thanks for the tip;I have just bought a box. While I don't have a camera in this size at present who knows what the next 20 years will bring. I am a great believer in picking up stuff when it's cheap. If it turns out you you don't need it you can always sell on at worst at a minimal loss.

Steve,

Absolutely!

These are so cheap I am sure they will easily be saleable at twice the price once they dry up. 18x24 is still as common, if not more common, than 8x10 in Europe.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

And they don't ship outside UK...

If you ask them they might (especially if you bought a good number). Worth checking.

Thanks for giving away my source of 18x24 holders!! This is like any other Ebay listing, remember.
    I told them a year ago about how they should get rid of their old new stock, than means, basically Europe.
    Now that the source is published, I can assure you that they will, if pressed, sell overseas.
    Remember that postage costs will "boost" the price to you.
    I think they have 100's of the various fidelity varieties - but I have not published info as they appear on any search using 18x24.
    It will interesting to see how the listing price goes up. I think I have enough, though.

Steve,

How many do you consider enough? I'm curious, because I used this as an opportunity to buy my 'ideal world' quantity - enough for a loooong road trip without loading or unloading holders. Some people happily work with five holders and others consider 100+ to be a reasonable number! I won't ever need another holder.