Re: DSLR Scanner: Camera Supports and Positioning

Works nicely!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Tin Can

It's a beautiful thing!

Thanks. This wouldn't be happening at all if it wasn't for Daniel. He's put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to keep this project going, and his design is much more elegant than mine, especially for people who don't want to scan bigger than 4x5.

For the real deal, the lens would be masked really well, and there'd be black fabric keeping any ambient light off of the negative. I'm not sure, though, what lens I'll be using, and there are some other things to work out before getting to that.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you Peter, but certainly half the credit for giving this project legs belongs to you. I was going to wait and get a few more details ironed out but will try and get a decent video of my rig in action posted asap.

For better or worse, here's my rig in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXy7R...m-upload_owner

The Arduino program both Peter and I are running, Scanduino, was written by Richard Iles, AKA Flickr member ReallySmall. It's based on his program Stackduino which we pinned him to the ground and gavaged him on house flies and mead until he got it repurposed for our needs.

Seriously though, his generosity in helping this project can't be measured, period. I ask that any program related questions be directed to me, my way of thanking him for his efforts, fielding questions to the extent I can. In other words, he's off limits and I'm the best you've got : ). I have learned a thing or two from him and I hope I can help.

As for our rigs, they are a work in progress. Yes, they work and prove the concept (and quite a bit more) and yes, they can be improved, and we're working on that, as we have for many, many, many months. Please consider them prototypes well worth one's effort to pursue. I hope (as Ludvig's version has inspired us months ago) to see yet more approaches. Mine for example, requires too much effort to produce, requiring access to very high end machinery, Peters, a quad bearing block/dual rail design, is far more flexible, especially regarding film format. These are decidedly early stages in this quest. With Mr. Richard Iles' 'Scanduino', by all means, go forth and multiply, and may the Z axis gods be always on your side.

Outstanding, Daniel!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I'm in the process of spec'ing out a film scanner using linear rods like yours, but using a screw instead of belt drive.

What sort of hardware are you using the for the z-axis mount? I'm trying to figure that out now.

I was wondering if that was a Velmex part. I had looked at their catalog thinking, hmmm, this might work!

Thanks for sharing all of this with everyone!

Occasionally they come up on Ebay for a decent price. I bought mine there for $75 shipped. They are a very high quality device, much better than any of the photo specific devices that I've seen. The 4" wide series is nice for this use. For macro in the field, a smaller one might be more convenient. There are a choice of threads.