Thread: Cleaning the inside of the bellows

Cleaning the inside of the bellows

The 5X7 is ready to go. I've decided it is way to cold to refinish and if I wait to use it until I get that completed I will never use it. so I am now in posession of a working but ugly 5x7. My only concern is the bellows interior. I bought the bellows from a guy who had it sitting in his shop. I assume by the amount of dust inside the bellows it was fully extended. I know this will be a problem but cannot figure a way to clean it thuroughly and I do not want pin holes in my negs. Should I just wipe it with either tack cloth, or a damp cloth? Would an air compressor do any damage? A new bellows is out of the question right now.

Thanks in advance

Hi Mark,

Vaccuum to remove the dust. good luck

The air compressor can damage it if too much pressure, but if you have the compressor you might be able to reduce the pressure to where it's safe. I would suggest first blowing as much dust out as possible, either with the compressor or canned air, then use a barely damp rag to wipe the surface. Finally, vacuum thoroughly. By this point, most of the remaining dust is probably going to stay put, so no worries.

After blowing and vacuming use duct tape as a "tack cloth" inside the bellows to pick up remaining bits of dust and junk.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

I find vacuuming the inside of a bellows difficult, and I suspect not as efficient as I would like it to be. I use a damp wash cloth to pick up the majority of dust. The next day (or sufficient drying time later) using a tack cloth to "finish" is probably a good idea.

Note though that every time you extent it, you pull in dust. Every time you change lenses, you open it to dust. It'll never be "dust free." As a result, I clean before the "big" pictures or big trips, and try to minimize the exposure to the atmosphere, but I can't obsess over it (like I used to, sigh).

Bruce Watson