Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feasability of hybrid film/digital workflow.

Re: Feasability of hybrid film/digital workflow.

Wow!
    GREAT information thread for a newbie like me, who like the OP is "wanting more" than my 5DMkII.
    I too have successfully used pano stitches, which I will further experiment with.
    I too, think that digital medium format systems are waaay overpriced. I will NEVER be able to afford a back that would be worthwhile.
    I just purchased a 4x5 Sinar f2 kit, I am looking forward to it's use.
    Soon, I plan to purchase an Epson V750-M scanner.
    I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, just wanted to add how relevant it is for to me, perhaps others as well.

Question:
    - Anyone have experience w/ the Epson Expression 10000XL- Photo Scanner ?
    - How much better, or is it? than the Epson Perfection V750-M Pro ?

It's best to ask new questions as a new question, that way this site becomes a reference for other users. And 99% of the questions have been asked before... so use the SEARCH.

But... the 750 is newer and aimed at photographers, the XL was aimed at graphic artists scanning larger documents. I do not have the specs but I think the 750 has higher quality and is currently the standard for this level of "prosumer" scanners. You'd also want to compare the sizes of the transparency bed.

Sorry...
    And thanks for your answer!

Don't worry the threads usually devolve into chats and name-calling anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Pybus View Post
    I'm also in Sweden(Stockholm).
    I have until recently scanned with an Epson V750 but have started getting selected negatives drum-scanned .
    I have used both crimson.se and Team Framkallning for development and used Team Framkallning for drum scanning (crimson uses Imacon not drum scanning).
    Who do you use?
    I'm still in the "investigation phase", i e I have not started to invest in film systems yet (only have digital). I have not deep-dived into drum scanning options, but I have indeed located Crimson and team framkallning. I currently use Crimson to make large digital C-prints. I might send the film abroad for drum scanning though, I think scanning service I found here is a bit expensive, and I don't know how nerdy about quality they are. Tim Parkin's http://cheapdrumscanning.com/ seems like a really good alternative (he does care to make it "right"), but it seems like it runs it as a hobby or something so I don't know if he'd like to get stuff from abroad.

For medium format film (not my own, but from a photographer I know) I've got quite good quality with a macro lens and light table setup (color calibrated), using HDR and 1:1 magnification and thus stitching I get higher resolution (tested with resolution test slide) and better dynamic range than good table top film scanners, and much better than flatbeds. But it would be a pain to stitch a 4x5", unless reducing resolution.

I'm not far away from you guys (copenhagen) and have been going down the route you're about to take... You should definitely try Tim's scanning service. I can rent an imacon very cheaply by the hour locally, but I must admit, that Tim's scans showed a different level of both detail, tone and texture. For your best shots, it's definitely worth it. He even provided me with jpeg server previews in order to determine my desired balance between detail and grain in the final scan. And this is still only 25 pounds a scan for 4000ppi!

For development, consider using HSL Digital in Düsseldorf. Gudmundur from this forum suggested it to me and I've been using them ever since. They're cheaper and - more importantly - better than my local lab. Negs come back with very little dust and immaculate packaging. Oh, and their service is endorsed and used by Candida Höfer and Axel Hütte

Just a suggestion, but you should really consider using Portra instead of Provia. Unless you strictly shoot under light conditions, where Provia can handle the entire range, you are really loosing a lot of what LF can be (IMHO, of course). Take a look at Tim's excellent film comparison: http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/06...mparison-pt-3/

good luck with it - I bet you're going to fall in love with LF like the rest of us

Thanks for the tips, and really interesting film comparison. It is a bit sad that color revarsal films does not perform as good as color negatives. Grown up on digital I don't really like to look at negatives, but I love looking at transparencies on the light table. Since I'm not going to scan everything I shoot, it would have been nice to have a "finished picture" in the archive to make it a more pleasing experince to browse. So I may just accept the worse performance and stick with reversal film anyway.

I'm not going to invest in LF tomorrow though, I usually have quite long "investigation phases" before I make the move

Quote Originally Posted by atorger View Post
    I'm not going to invest in LF tomorrow though, I usually have quite long "investigation phases" before I make the move
    ... good idea. Although you probably already know it, there's some really good deals to be had on used gear. Apart from the ubiquitous Sinar and Toyo G gear, look out for the Toyo VX125, the Linhof Technikardan (S-model) and even Arca F-models. All can be had used from $1500-2500... check the prices on new ones on B&H...

Worse performance is a bit too broad I think. Certainly worse latitude for transparencies. But Provia has better reciprocity characteristics than color negative films by far. And many would say Velvia is unmatched in color. $8k would also get you one damn nice kit. I think that is a lot. Shit, an 8x10 camera plus 3 nice lenses can be had for half of that.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams