Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vacuum pump

Could anyone provide some more information on a Thomas vacuum pump? Here are the specifications from the Gardner Denver site:

Model Number: 007CDC19
    Product Family / Type: Diaphragm
    Operating Mode: Vacuum
    Medium: Gas
    Vacuum Flow Rate: 0.7 cfm / 18.4 l/min
    Vacuum Continuous: 23.0 in.Hg / -780 mbar
    Max Intermittent Vacuum: 23.0 in.Hg / -780 mbar
    Max Vacuum Restart: 23.0 in.Hg / -780 mbar
    Energy Supply: DC
    Voltage: 12V
    Motor Rating: 22.4 W
    Current Drawn: 3.8 A
    Motor Type: Permanent Magnet
    Motor Protection Class: F
    Speed: 2800 rpm
    Weight: 2.90 lb / 1.30 kg
    Ambient Temperature: min.50 °F / 10 °C
    Ambient Temperature: max.104 °F / 40 °C
    Stroke: 0.20 in / 4.8 mm

My questions are:
    1. Is it perfectly safe to power it using a 12V/60W/5A AC/DC protected converter for halogen/LED lights?
    2. Does it look powerful enough to give enough pull for, say, a 30x40" FB double-weight sheet (horizontal projection)?
    3. Do the length and bends in the hose affect vacuum pull?

Thanks.
    LF_rtb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vacpump1.jpg   vacpump2.jpg   vacpump3.jpg   vacpump4.jpg  

I'm not sure about the electrical requirements, but I think you would want a vane pump and not a diaphragm for an easel pump. A diaphragm pump would work for a contact frame to suck glass down but I think the pulsing on an easel would not be ideal. I could be wrong however
    Regards
    Erik

Re: Vacuum pump

Erik, do you mean the pull of this type of pump isn't completely constant and continuous for a vertical easel?

That right, it pulses as the diaphragm moves vs say the continuous suction of say a vacuum cleaner.
    Regards
    Erik

Thanks, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    That right, it pulses as the diaphragm moves vs say the continuous suction of say a vacuum cleaner.
    Enough of a buffer space will settle that issue. Membrane pumps are standard wherever a modestly strong vacuum pressure is needed and not much air transport is required - using anything else for an easel would not save money, and nonetheless have more issues and worse results.

Sevo,

How to create buffer space and what volume is needed for this purpose and size?

Quote Originally Posted by LF_rookie_to_be View Post
    Sevo,

How to create buffer space and what volume is needed for this purpose and size?
    I use a empty 100cc gas-washing bottle (from a laboratory glassware shop) with my darkroom easel, as that was cheap and available off the shelf at the place I got the pump from. But even a longer bit of hose would probably do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    I use a empty 100cc gas-washing bottle (from a laboratory glassware shop) with my darkroom easel, as that was cheap and available off the shelf at the place I got the pump from. But even a longer bit of hose would probably do the job.
    Sevo, thanks for this bit of advice, I'll try to tame the pulsing with a gas-washing bottle.

A vacuum chamber can filter out pulsations from the diaphram pump. Kinks in a vacuum line would affect performance, but modest bends won't. The vane type vacuum pumps I once used for 32x40 graphic arts film were much larger, with maybe 1/4 HP motors. They would draw down to about 24 PSI. Requirements for contact printing halftones is much more stringent than holding photo paper in a vertical easel. EVen a lowly vacuum cleaner might work for a well designed easel. You may need a clamp to hold the top of the paper during draw-down.