Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: the wave - secret location?

Re: the wave - secret location?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Vaughn, You really should try some Single Malt, it will make your carbon prints sing even more
    Nope, can't afford it -- and I do terrible things to Scotch that would be an injustice to good Scotch. My favorite -- A glass with ice, pour in Kahlua, then float the Scotch on top.

I am drinking Johnny because Costco no longer carries Scoresby ($16 for 1.5 liters)

Vaughn, That would be a horrible thing to do to a good Single Malt but as long as you enjoy your floating Scotch who cares.
    If you ever visit the Portland area let me know and i will have a good Single Malt on hand. No Kahlua.

Richard M. Coda

One of those places I will never photograph... because so many others have already done it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

If you ever visit the Portland area let me know and i will have a good Single Malt on hand. No Kahlua.
    And no ice...I will try to look you up the next time I am that way. I have a nephew in Portland and pass thru on my way to Spokane yearly.

I am in the process of looking for a workshop space in Hood River (actually, someone there interested in learning carbon printing is doing the looking) for this summer, so who knows?

I would love to do a carbon workshop in the Portland area...just a matter of finding people interested in a workshop who are also interested in finding the space for a workshop.

Vaughn

Drew Wiley

I understand Vaughn. Even though I've sold my property up there, one of
    my nephews bought some nice acreage real close to Mariposa, but even he detours to the backside of the Park where it's nice n' quiet. The last time I photgraphed in the Valley was in a blizzard so hard that I parked right in the middle of the road all day long and the only other car I witnessed all day was one ranger. Nobody could get into the Valley for three days that Jan. I hacked my way up a huge ice cone piled up below El Cap Fall and chiseled off the top with my ice axe for a tripod platform. Got an edge on shot of the monolith which might not be the most spectacular shot in park history, but it was pretty nice and undoubtedly completely unique for a view camera. Mabybe not the sanest thing to do,
    however. The "glissade" down hundreds of feet of slick water ice was
    definitely a cheap thrill.

Drew -- was "El Cap Fall" Ribbon Fall? The only other "El Cap Fall" I know is Horsetail.

I tried to approach Ribbon Fall one Spring. Put the camera off in a dry place and tried to walk up the creek to the base of the fall. It was like walking in a hurricane with the water coming horizontally into my face. I wimped out.

Vaughn, No ice.
    It is hard to find a whole lot of LF film shooters in the Portland area. There are a few on this forum but most in the PPF group have gone digital. I would be interested in a Carbon Printing WS if you can find a location. Hood River or Portland.

I must admit that there were indeed signs of foot traffic on the sandstone, and I did see other people there! OMG and come to think of it there is only one shot that is possible at the Wave and everyone has done it!!!

I'm so embarrassed that I had such a great day there but you are all correct that the Wave sucks. I just have to look at it the way you do.

Les

One of those places I will never photograph... because so many others have already done it.

I'm thinking that's a defeatest attitude. There are always abstracts that will reveal themselves if you take the time to look. Yes, most people look at the 'grand view' and they miss the little things. Back in 2008 I was on a raft in G. Canyon....and guess what ?....almost everyone in harmony took the 'norm' photos. Indeed, and this was a photo-oriented 8 day trip. Draw your own conclusions.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Vaughn, No ice.
    It is hard to find a whole lot of LF film shooters in the Portland area. There are a few on this forum but most in the PPF group have gone digital. I would be interested in a Carbon Printing WS if you can find a location. Hood River or Portland.
    I'll let you know how it goes. And it seems most folks want to use digitally enlarged inkjet negatives...but it is still hard to beat a good camera negative.

Vaughn