Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsidian Aqua, catechol staining developer

Re: Obsidian Aqua, catechol staining developer

Wonder what happened to Jay….. seemed he had mellowed a bit and was enjoying taking portraits of his wife with his RB.

Last he was heard of he got caught up in a stupid thread about banning of FP, moderation and the like that means "nothing to nobody"…. anyhow, hope he is still dabbling with developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I'd like to introduce a new developer I've been testing for some time, and will continue to test and use. I call it Obsidian Aqua, for its scalpel-sharpness and water base.

Obsidian Aqua is very closely related to Hypercat II, but takes advantage of some of the opportunities an aqueous solution provides for economy, without sacrificing keeping prperties. The main reason for using propylene glycol in Hypercat II is to extend its keeping properties, but this comes at at some cost. PG is not locally available in many places, and is expensive to ship, and adds considerable expense to the developer. In Obsidian Aqua I've tried to maximize keeping properties while minimizing expense, including shipping costs, by utilizing locally available ingredients where possible, including the use of distilled water as the solvent. Like Hypercat II, OA uses catechol as its sole developing agent, but OA is preserved by metabisulfite in the stock solution, instead of ascorbic acid, and retains carbonate as the accelerator. OA can be made up in sodium or potassium metabisulfites and carbonates, depending on availability.

To maximize the keeping properties, the stock solution is highly concentrated. This allows for a higher ratio of catechol to metabisulfite, and a lower ratio of metabisulfite to water compared to other catechol staining developers, which simultaneously improves stain formation and keeping properties. A working solution of catechol/carbonate developer with appropriate carbonate content requires practically no preservative. The preservative is primarily required for the stock solution.

To make a working solution, the OA stock solution is dissolved into a solution of 6.66% carbonate, and how this is managed will depend on the carbonate used, and the preferences of the photographer. A 66.6% solution of potassium carbonate can be made by dissolving 666g of potassium carbonate to make 1 liter of stock solution, or 6.66g of either carbonate can be dissolved in a liter of water to make a working solution, or any number of other possibilities. The important thing is that the working developer contains 6.66g of carbonate/ liter.

Obsidian Aqua

Distilled water 700ml
    Metabisulfite (sodium or potassium) 20g
    Catechol 250g
    Distilled water to 1 liter

Dilute 1:500 with 6.66% carbonate solution (sodium or potassium, depending on which metabisulfite is used in the OA stock solution). 1 liter of Obsidian Aqua makes 500 liters of working solution.

Develop TMY-2 12:00 @ 70F with *geometric agitation sequence.

Obsidian Aqua produces negatives of unsurpassed sharpness, excellent gradation, very fine grain, and full film speed. OA can be used with rotary processing, but with some loss of film speed. I hope this developer will be more convenient for my friends overseas, who often need to order supplies from outside their own countries. I highly recommend Artcraft Chemicals for catechol. Artcraft offers 250g of catechol, which wouldn't require any weighing of the chemical to make up the stock solution; just mix the entire amount to make 1 liter. The metabisulfite is not critical, and could be measured with measuring spoons if no scale is available. 1 level teaspoon of metabisulfite weighs approximately 6.5g, so 3 tsp/ liter is close enough.

Obsidian Aqua stock solution should keep very well. Though I have no stock solution older than 6 months, I expect it to last at least a year in a partially full glass bottle. Time will tell.

I hope this formula is useful for anyone desiring the sharpest possible negatives with the best overall Image Quality, at the least possible expense, wherever one might live.

* The notion of a geometric agitation sequence was recently suggested to me, and I've been using it with good results. My method is as follows:

I use a count up timer, and begin by agitation continuously for 1 minute. Then I reset the timer and agitate for 10 seconds, according to the following progression (in minutes): 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.

A geometric agitation sequence seems appropriate for this kind of very dilute developer, and my results bear this out.

Thanks for that…good to see!

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    Wonder what happened to Jay….. seemed he had mellowed a bit and was enjoying taking portraits of his wife with his RB.

Last he was heard of he got caught up in a stupid thread about banning of FP, moderation and the like that means "nothing to nobody"…. anyhow, hope he is still dabbling with developers.
    Please tell us what RB and FP are?

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Please tell us what RB and FP are?
    ____

Rod... 'RB' refers to the Mamiya RB67 Camera that Jay sometimes uses with his Mamiya 150mm f/4.0 SF-C Soft Focus lens and 'FP' refers to a previous LF Forum Member... Who now hangs out on 500px (I believe).
    --
    Best Regards,

-Tim.

________

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    ____

Rod... 'RB' refers to the Mamiya RB67 Camera that Jay sometimes uses with his Mamiya 150mm f/4.0 SF-C Soft Focus lens and 'FP' refers to a previous LF Forum Member... Who now hangs out on 500px (I believe).
    --
    Best Regards,

-Tim.

________
    Oh. Thank you.

RR

I posted this one in the xray comparison thread, but thought I'd post it here as it was developed in Obsidian Aqua. The negative is very sharp. I used Kodak single-sided xray. The scan however, doesn't do the sharpness justice...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ArtsAutoSupply2.jpg  

As I am still trying to find the reason for my failed attempt to make this developer work I am curious as to what those who use it mix it up with.
    Is it Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Carbonate or is it Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Carbonate?
    I have only tried the Sodium variant and that is clearly not right.
    Will try with the Potassium variation when I get the Potassium Metabisulfite next week.

How does a negative look? Somewhat similar to a Pyrocat negative?
    Thanks.

If you go back to page 10 of this thread, you can see some comparison shots between OA and Pyrocat-HD. They are both very similar, with OA having slightly, very slightly more sharpness. That difference could only be seen with an extreme enlargement. What I appreciated about OA was it only requires 3 chemicals, that mix up quickly.

Thanks Andrew. I did see the positive (Print) comparison but I am more curious about the negatives.
    So far I have almost no image on my negatives, they are so clear that not even a scanner can pick up enough information to make an image.
    As I posted above I have not yet tried the Potassium variation but have used fresh Catechol but a bit old Sodium Metabisulfite in the A solution.
    Being as stuborn as I am I find it difficult to give up getting this to work.