Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accordion bottles

Re: Accordion bottles

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    If this was true, wouldn't they "unconcertina" over time as the compressed plastic reverts to its normal size?
    One would think. Humm.

It's basic household safety not to use common drink containers to store chemicals,
    I hope you don't have children, or grandchildren who could discover them.
    I would spend a few dollars and buy proper containers.

Two words: Suck and trash. A short description of those type of bottles.

hacker extraordinaire

They are terrible.

I also use a variety of PET and glass drinking containers to hold my chemicals (more or less properly labeled), and I'm not dead yet, nor are any small children. I use wine boxes for my pre-mixed developer and I use all my film developer one-shot now. My print developer I keep in salsa bottles and I don't care about oxidation...it doesn't get good till it gets nice and brown anyway.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I had three of these concertinal bottles and every one used to extend back to their original size over a period of time. I now only use brown glass winchesters for all my chemical storage. I know of a UK seller (Wains of Tunbridge Wells) that supply them by the dozen.

Hi Peter!

I like using mt soda containers. My youngest adult sibling is 31 and he and his wife live in Cleveland Ohio.

There are a lot more serious chemicals in most peoples home that can cause far more damage than photographic chemicals in mt soda containers.

Our grand children haven't taken to any of them as I've shown them what I do and they understand. They are in a location that is secured so as little fingers won't explore.

I find they work the best for me. I've had a darkroom for over 50 years so I have some experience with this.

Just trying to help.

I don't have a problem using beverage containers, with the labels removed and suitable labels (as easy as masking tape and a sharpie) attached.

We don't have children now. When we do, they'll be locked out of the darkroom until old enough to understand. It's not that difficult. Worrying about this too much strikes me as unnecessarily alarmist. Of course accidents have happened but due to mislabeling, not labeling, leaving in places like the refrigerator etc.

Children should be kept out of the darkroom. Anyone old enough to read who picks up a soda bottle with the soda label off and a hand written one labeled "Developer" or "Selenium toner" or whatever and takes a swig, deserves what they get. Let Darwin have at 'em.

try to use the same bottle for the same chemicals.

I re-use household consumer bottles for chemicals with new labeling. This may include: Wide mouth juice and gatorade bottles, laundry detergent bottle, distilled water jug, windshield washer fluid jugs (has locking top), etc... For smaller amounts of chemicals, I'll re-use bottles that photo chemical liquid concentrates come in. (relabeled with a sharpie). Sharpies or crayons write permanently and well on most plastic bottle caps.

Darkroom is off limits to kids except under personal supervision. At their present ages, they have learned the tray at the faucet is water and they can play in that, absolutely everything else is "chemicals" that they aren't allowed to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Galea View Post
    Seriously?
    Chemicals in drinking vessels?
    Absolutely. I've been known to use my Pyrex lab graduates in the kitchen, too.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.