Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hand held 4x5 camera

Re: hand held 4x5 camera

Maybe this confuses matters, but if you want to hand-hold in large format, there's always the route our fathers/grandfathers took: the Graflex SLR. The Super D models, with (semi)automatic diaphragm get pricey, but a regular D with a decent lens on it makes a killer hand-held, as long as you don't need flash. Having only a focal plane shutter, neither electronic flash nor conventional flashbulbs will provide a long enough burst of light to last while the slit makes its way across the film. Back in the day, special flashbulbs with a long burn were made for use with focal plane shutters, and most Graflexes from the late '30s onward have synch terminals from the factory. Just a thought....

These are great cameras indeed. Have a look at "the" auction site; there's at least one for sale there (I'm partial, as I'm the seller). Prices quoted hereunder are indeed the "normal" prices for 4x5 conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yeah, get a converted Polaroid. The difference in size and weight from a Crown/Speed Graphic is enormous, RF focusing is easier and more precise, and the price for a really nice Graphic with everything working and in proper order is almost as much as the cheaper Polaroid conversions. I also adapted an electronic flash to my Polaroid and it works like a charm (make sure the shutter you get has an X sync port), and that is a lot less hassle/expensive than flashbulbs.

I've seen Polaroid conversions for use with 3x4 film for as low as $500. Nicer ones that can use traditional 4x5 film I think start around $700 or so. More boutique options go up from there. My Polaroid 900 with a Schneider Xenotar 135/3.5 came to about $1200.

Did you do yours yourself, or did you get it from somewhere? I noticed you mention a parallax-corrected RF, which despite the price I was very disappointed to NOT have on my custom conversion. Just curious if that's something that could be reconfigured to have on mine.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I did not do it myself. I might be wrong but I think only the 110B is parallax-corrected. Maybe you have a 110A ?

I actually have a 900 camera. I'm not sure if the RF is from the 900 or chopped off from a 110B. It's a dual-window one. I need to email him and find out as it's getting highly annoying. I'm doing instant portraits around town at just about the minimum focus distance and it's a huge discrepancy!

Polaroid 900 should be parallax-corrected according to the manual, so I guess there's something wrong with yours ...

I actually have a 900 camera. I'm not sure if the RF is from the 900 or chopped off from a 110B. It's a dual-window one. I need to email him and find out as it's getting highly annoying. I'm doing instant portraits around town at just about the minimum focus distance and it's a huge discrepancy!

Good to know, thanks. I will look into it.

Yeah, get a converted Polaroid. The difference in size and weight from a Crown/Speed Graphic is enormous, RF focusing is easier and more precise, and the price for a really nice Graphic with everything working and in proper order is almost as much as the cheaper Polaroid conversions. I also adapted an electronic flash to my Polaroid and it works like a charm (make sure the shutter you get has an X sync port), and that is a lot less hassle/expensive than flashbulbs.

I've seen Polaroid conversions for use with 3x4 film for as low as $500. Nicer ones that can use traditional 4x5 film I think start around $700 or so. More boutique options go up from there. My Polaroid 900 with a Schneider Xenotar 135/3.5 came to about $1200.
    No offense to Corran but I disagree with a lot of what he's saying. I have owned and used several versions of both Graphics and Polaroid conversions and I do not think think the Polaroids are much smaller, they are only differently shaped - the volume is about the same. I also think their rangefinders are terrible compared to the Graphics. The Graphics generally have better backs and are more durable and versatile than the Polaroid conversions. And while I suppose you could overpay a lot for a Graphic and find an amazing deal on a Polaroid conversion, what I've seen is the Graphics running $200 to $500 and the Roids running $800 to $5000 (crazy, eh?)

Sorry to call bullshit Corran. I'm friends with one of the top conversion makers too and while they have their charm, even he isn't going to diss a Graphic.

It's kind of like colleges, if someone invests a lot into something then they'll defend their choices even though the University of Phoenix is probably the better the choice....

Right now I use a Linhof Technika and it is better than the Graphics in every way except weight and price. The Graflex SLRs are also quite excellent for handheld work, I think they are the bomb for short focus portraits. But for general handheld 4x5 work? Just get a classic Pacemaker Crown Graphic Special with a 135 lens of any flavor, with the top rangefinder, and save yourself a lot of headaches. Why do you think a million photojournalists used them for fifty years? They sure didn't go to war with some plastic piece of $hit Polaroid hot-glued together with some foo-foo lens, funky back, and exotic snakeskin leather covering! ;-p (added to protect me from flames.)

Conversions: Alpinhause, Razzle, Byron and others.

You might also consider the fotoman line. These are hand=held, scale focusing "point-and-shoot" cameras. Focus is transfered from an auxillery range finder to the focusing mount. flash synch depends on the shutter of course.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

To be frank, Frank, you aren't "calling bullshit" you're expressing your own opinions about things. And doing it rather rudely, at least in my general direction, if I do say so myself.

For sure, a 4x5 camera has to be a certain size to accommodate the film but still...in MY opinion it's no contest. So how about we actually look at the cameras directly? Here's a couple shots of the two side-by-side. The Speed doesn't even have a lens! Not even a contest which one I want to carry around. I also prefer the Polaroid's handle/grip and the position of the RF. Folded up the difference is even more obvious. RE: the RF, I hate both the top RF and the Kalart of the Graphics. I think the Polaroid is much better. That is my certified opinion.

I'm not dissing the Graphic at all. I have 4 Speeds in my possession right now for some projects. But if we are talking simply weight and size...Polaroid seems to win to me. And don't even give me that bullshit about "defending my purchase." Again, I own and use both. My Polaroid conversion was paid for by...surprise! The sale of two Graphic cams.

RE: price - I recently sold a Crown Graphic in really fine shape for $400 (9/10 shape). I've seen many Polaroid conversions on ebay go for about $500-$600. That's just what I've observed. Sure you can get a beaten POS Crown for $100 or a high-end conversion for $800 but that's not really the norm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BRY_4074.jpg   BRY_4075.jpg