Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
Well, you have 2 carry-on sized camera cases, and you're 2 people? Hmmm.... Why not get your wife to carry one of them? Oh, never mind. Mine wouldn't go for it either. In fact, I usually have to make room in mine for some of her crap. Er, essentials. I suppose we have very different working definitions of the word 'essential'.

My personal solution was to find a Pelican-style or Samsonite or whatever rigid large-size suitcase as my checked bag, anything that wasn't overly sensitive to temperature changes went in there, wrapped in t-shirts and underwear. Such as my Speed Graphic and film holders, on my last trip. I don't know what make it is, I found it at the local flea-market for $10 because it was closed and the seller couldn't figure out the combination. I couldn't either, but after a couple of hours' trying, I did find a crowbar. It's not as hermetically-sealed as Pelican cases, but in practice I've found that just means it doesn't look like it's collapsing in on itself when I pick it up on the luggage carousel. I don't know what temperature they keep the baggage hold, but I do know they're not pressurized, and I wouldn't send any of my good lf lenses in the hold because I don't know how well vented they might be, and what abrupt & major changes in atmospheric pressure would do to one.
Jody,
Here is where your argument (an excellent one, by the way) breaks down: we have a 20-month-old daughter.
All bets are off, and I have to fend for myself.
As for the gear, I will likely be buying a 1650 for all of it, and I think that, in a Pelican, it will be safe from temperature and pressure variations in the cargo hold.
If anyone has experience otherwise, please let me know.
Thanks