Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shen-Hao Ground Glass

Re: Shen-Hao Ground Glass

However, fresnels can give you "hot spots" on the focussing screen which means that you have to move your head around to check your composition/focus rather than simply moving your eyes. You get used to it pretty quickly and then, for many, it stops being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty230358 View Post
    However, fresnels can give you "hot spots" on the focussing screen which means that you have to move your head around to check your composition/focus rather than simply moving your eyes. You get used to it pretty quickly and then, for many, it stops being an issue.
    Actually the use of a fresnel largely elininates the need to move your head around trying to get the best vantage point to view different areas which you need to do when a plain screen is used.

The point about a fresnel is its bending the light to make viewing substantially easier. If you want to see the difference first hand I can easily set 3 5x4 cameras up side by side (here in Worcestershire), one with a plain screen, one with a plain screen and fresnel and a third with a Wista combination fresnel/screen. The differences are quite substantial.

Ian

I bought the Shen-Hao 4x5 kit with the 150mm Nikkor from Badger about 6 years ago.I've only used it a few times as it really is hard to see what's happening on the ground glass.I've been thinking of selling it, and pulled it out of the case yesterday to ponder the decision.Man what a beautiful little camera.After messing with dslr's and stitching for the past couple years, and getting tired of the digital rat race, it was very inspirational just setting it up.But unfortunately the screen has not gotten brighter with age Sooo of I decide to keep this and actually use it, what's the bees knees these days to replace the stock screen, money no object?

Thanks............Chris

I had the same problem when I had my Shen Hao. I had been using a Nagaoka, which had a fresnel (I did not know at the time), and I thought something must have been wrong with the camera. It was the same using a loupe. Trying to focus in low light was next to impossible, so I traded up to a Tachihara 8x10. I had no problems seeing what's on the GG since.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    I bought the Shen-Hao 4x5 kit with the 150mm Nikkor from Badger about 6 years ago.I've only used it a few times as it really is hard to see what's happening on the ground glass.I've been thinking of selling it, and pulled it out of the case yesterday to ponder the decision.Man what a beautiful little camera.After messing with dslr's and stitching for the past couple years, and getting tired of the digital rat race, it was very inspirational just setting it up.But unfortunately the screen has not gotten brighter with age Sooo of I decide to keep this and actually use it, what's the bees knees these days to replace the stock screen, money no object?

Thanks............Chris
    Probably a Maxwell screen or a Beattie screen but they do cost an arm and a leg

My 10x8 came with a new in the box Beattie screen and it's very bright in use. However I'm very please with the screen fresnel combination on my Super Graphic and it's relatively easy to focus even in lower light levels.

Ian

Dennis,

As reported elsewhere, I replaced my Shen-Hao GG with the Yanke Fresnel/GG from China, I think for about $80. I estimate +2 stops of brightness.

Thanks everyone, I decided to go with a borosilicate GG from Steve Hopf. It should be in the mail, so we will see if it makes a difference.

For what it's worth, and I see you've already ordered a replacement, the Wista GG/fresnel is the brightest and contrastiest I've ever used.
    I don't even need a hood on my RF, the screen is easily visible under most conditions.
    Of course, I'm a little biased, as I do have one for sale, but I'm selling a spare screen; I still have one mounted to my camera