View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 115 of 299 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 2986

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    More accurate than a mechanical range finder because your eyes are wider apart than even a Blick's windows is the human range finder. The business card sized gauge fits in your shirt pocket and is free (apart from the paper and ink) here http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/

Here's one I made just now for the Travelwide with a 90mm Angulon

RR
    RR,

I just made one of these and after remeasuring three times on my eye/card distance and my IPD, my card functions well up to 4-6 feet away, but is off by a factor of 2 at 20 feet. It tells me an object 20 feet away is only 10 feet away. It is printing at the correct size, too.

I was all excited about this idea, but it isn't working for me. The math seems straight forward, so it's probably me.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I gotta try it, I do know it is impossible to correctly measure your own PD, I have tried and failed, a few times, and my friends were worse. Of course my last Opthamologist wrote down my Rx incorrectly and Costco made my last goggles to his incorrect scribble. The Costco tech tried telling me to get used to the 3 diopter mistake. Costco and the Opthamologist did prioritize a correction.

I'll make one shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    RR,

I just made one of these and after remeasuring three times on my eye/card distance and my IPD, my card functions well up to 4-6 feet away, but is off by a factor of 2 at 20 feet. It tells me an object 20 feet away is only 10 feet away. It is printing at the correct size, too.

I was all excited about this idea, but it isn't working for me. The math seems straight forward, so it's probably me.
    Tin Can

On the other hand, it's pretty easy to see visually whether something is 10 or 20 feet away, and you don't need to be exact with long distances. The critical zone is 10 feet / 3 meters and closer, where we're not as good at estimating—it's hard to tell the difference between 1.5m and 1.7m by eye.

That's why I'm curious to try the manual rangefinder! The idea is sound, although it might look a little funny to onlookers.

Works perfectly for me. My floor has 1 ft tile, non-metric, and I just measured 20 ft perfectly. I use my floor as a rangefinder checker all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I gotta try it, I do know it is impossible to correctly measure your own PD, I have tried and failed, a few times, and my friends were worse. Of course my last Opthamologist wrote down my Rx incorrectly and Costco made my last goggles to his incorrect scribble. The Costco tech tried telling me to get used to the 3 diopter mistake. Costco and the Opthamologist did prioritize a correction.

I'll make one shortly.
    Tin Can

6 ft works just ducky, or is that 2 meters?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I gotta try it, I do know it is impossible to correctly measure your own PD, I have tried and failed, a few times, and my friends were worse.
    That could be it. I'll get my wife to check it for me. I'm also due for an eye checkup, so I'll have the doc check too.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Do or do not. There is no try.

Ben,

Now that you've made the fronts mounts more easily interchanged, have you considered making a flat mount in Copal 0? Or could you provide dimensional details so others can do so? That would make it easier for owners of Nikkors, Grandagons, Acugons, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Ben,

Now that you've made the fronts mounts more easily interchanged, have you considered making a flat mount in Copal 0? Or could you provide dimensional details so others can do so? That would make it easier for owners of Nikkors, Grandagons, Acugons, and the like.
    Steve,

The front of the 90mm helical is Copal 0, and is designed to accept a wide range of 90s. What in particular do you have in mind?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. By "flat mount" I meant the non-helical for 65mm. My 65mm Ilex Acugon is in a Copal 0, as are several other 65s.

My 65mm f/4 Nikon is in a copal 0 but I'm just planning on filing or dremmeling (is that a verb?) the 00 hole out a bit.