View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 87 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Now there's an idea. Who amongst us is capable of making good ISO 25 film with a little kickstarter backing?

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    I seriously doubt that there have been many backers from outside the film community. For one, most of the news of the project has been through word of mouth on these forums and some mentions on a few blogs, such as The Online Photographer. I think it does point to a very vibrant film culture and for that at least we should be very grateful. It certainly gives a small picture of what can be done if you can get our community excited about something.

Now, if we could get a kickstarter project up and running to do some small runs of sheet film, maybe some ISO 25 stock.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Not me, though. I do large format with the idea if creating a sense of endless detail. This camera supports that traditional LF objective.

But a plastic lens in an instamatic shutter with a fixed stop that would mount in a No. 0 hole might be a good project...for someone. That soumeone could use what Ben and Justin have done as a model of how to do it right.

But it's easy to postulate ideas for someone else to carry out.

Rick "suspecting it's not as easy as it seems" Denney

Regarding the 90mm plastic lens idea.

I probably wouldn't buy it. But, as I said, I think the liberal arts photography students and the plastic camera aficionados would eat it up.

They can now 3D print their own variations. http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...nology-chicago
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBrain View Post
    As long as they fulfill the orders in the same chronological sequence as people backed the project...
    We *absolutely* will fulfill the orders in the same sequence as people backed the project

just checking

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    But a plastic lens in an instamatic shutter with a fixed stop that would mount in a No. 0 hole might be a good project...for someone. That soumeone could use what Ben and Justin have done as a model of how to do it right.
    We have a fantastic optical designer who designed some incredible plastic lenses for us, but nothing LF yet. (All speculative projects)

The sticking point with LF is the shutter. All new production shutters are simply too expensive. So we would need to design a brand new shutter, which would probably entail electronics. It's within the realm of possibility, but it would be expensive to set up production. It's an open question whether or not we could deliver the lens and shutter for much less than $150, which is about what 90s cost.

All great stuff. This thread has been great fun to follow.

And you are right Rick. Dreaming up stuff is a whole lot easier than following through. Always has been.

But on the other hand, dreaming about it is the start, and with the type of micro-financial backing that kickstarter can provide, some of the dreams may actually turn out.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post

<snippage>

The sticking point with LF is the shutter. All new production shutters are simply too expensive. So we would need to design a brand new shutter, which would probably entail electronics. It's within the realm of possibility, but it would be expensive to set up production.
    Now there's the germ of another Kickstarter project! Given the huge number of working and parts-donor shutters out there it probably wouldn't make economic sense, though.

I wonder if the manufacturer of Copal shutters still has their tooling, or has sold it, or scrapped it now that they've ceased production.

hmm...
    Why lens AND shutter?
    What about a plastic-fantastic lens threaded to screw right in to a copal 0 shutter? (since most of us will have one of these on the camera anyway...)
    Take your 'real' lens cells out, and pop in the plastic...

-Brian