Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting, Framing Without Gass.....??

Mounting, Framing Without Gass.....??

Tru Vue http://www.tru-vue.com

But you have to order it through a distributer. A relatively high end art shop with framing should be able to supply this, or a good framing shop. I use the Reflection Control product which is etched only on one side and is a good balance between reflection/UV control, loss of resolution and cost (not cheap). With lights appropriately placed as desribed above, this glass disappears.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Jon: Please do not do that. Elmer's is polyvinyl acetate, a material that yellows with age and is far from having archival qualities. Additionally, it releases acetic acid, harldly what you want in photographic prints. Also, it is a water borne product that requires pressure to hold whatever in place so the photo would have to be kept in a press or similar until sets. Water can cause uneven warping of the print, I know that some water based glues are sold for photos but I would not advice their use. Dry mounting materials are more likely to be archival, they require heat, another potential problem with some prints. PVAc however is the last thing you want.

Well, this might be too simple a solution but why not put double sided tape in between the mat and the board, this should keep it from bowing out.

Yes, Julio, Elmers is not acceptable for archival standards. But archival standards are not always necessary for personal use/enjoyment of photographs.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I think Jon Shiu's thinking has great merit. Daytime lighting in my house is the problem -- proper gallery lighting where works are up for sale is not. I don't need archival standards for "proof prints" hung at my house for a few months at a time. These are for evaluation not for sale.

Thanks to all for helping me clear up my thinking.