Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spain

Re: Spain

You just bumped into RENFE's site the worst piece of crap ever designed. If you plan to stay in Madrid for 5 days, I'd head to the nearest train station and get the tickets in person. There shouldn't be any availability problem.
    You will have to take two trains I'd guess. One to Barcelona and then one to Girona. Not sure though.
    You could call them but I doubt they speak any english. Here's the (normal wage) phone number for reservations: 954 487 620.
    It isn't free but cheaper than the 902 number for which you pay extra.

Thanks Elena me parecía que era falta de tecnología mia! I think there is an overnight sleeper that gets as far as Girona, but that is what I am trying to figure out!

Terry,

I would plan that way:
    Train Barcelona/Madrid or Madrid/Barcelona depending where you are landing. Spend a few days in Barcelona going around is not a problem. Don't forget the Hospital de San Pau BTW. Rent a car to go to Cadaques. Stop on the way at Figueres, there is a small restaurant that specialize on "plancha" seafood on the cast iron grill. You can use the car at Cadaques to drive to Port Lligat and Cap de Creu and even drive to the border - the road is very nice. Then drive to Girona, keep the car for one day to go to Besalu then return the car. Spend a couple of days in Girona and then back to Barcelona or Madrid.
    When we stay in Girona we stay at Hotel peninsular
    http://www.novarahotels.com/hotel-pe...r/ca/index.asp. Good price well located and nice. Evening stroll on the murallas is a must...

It is torture to discuss Spain without me going I never tire to go to Spain (my Dad leaves there half of the year).

Enjoy you lucky b%#@$@&

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    [...]
    I think there is an overnight sleeper that gets as far as Girona, but that is what I am trying to figure out!
    yes, there is one

I second Ramiro's suggestion to buy tickets in person once you'll be in Madrid.

Domingo-Thanks-for three days i have been trying to book the train, and the website is always down. A skype friend in Madrid has me convinced I am better off waiting until I get there and hoping the with only two days anticipation I can still find a bed on the train to Figueres!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    [...]
    and hoping the with only two days anticipation I can still find a bed on the train to Figueres!
    I've just made a simulation to buy two tickets, first class, cabin with two beds in this night's train and had no problem to finish the process; with the high speed trains covering Madrid to Barcelona in little less than 3 hours, night trains had become mostly useless.

Don't worry for your tickets, Terry.

Yep, nobody has any money in Spain so I doubt anyone will be travelling to Figueres that same day
    Like Domingo says, most people choose the fast train these days.

Scott Davis

Funny - all the discussions about theft are the opposite of what I encountered there. No problems in Madrid, none at the Sagrada Familia or on the Barcelona Metro, and I was warned off of the overnight trains between Barcelona and Madrid because of theft problems in coach (probably not a problem in first class where you have a locking cabin door).

I'll put in another vote for a day trip to Segovia from Madrid (very easy on the train - you can get one of the cercanias that takes about an hour and a half/two hours to get from Madrid to Segovia, and then it's a short city bus ride into downtown). I spent two summers living in Segovia when I was a teenager, and I was back again a few years ago to revisit my old stomping grounds.

Scott-loved Segovia on last visit-Domingo/Ramiro thanks! Nice to hear the PP's may not be omnipresent-might take a 4X5 aftre all!

Renfe site works great until payment-then it balks-every time! I also notice several other travel websites recommend ignoring it and going through Rail Europe. Thanks again to everyone. I finalized with 2 nights Alcalá de Henares, 2 nights in Girona (Huesca, banyoles) 2 nights Cadaqués, 7 nights Barca (Messi?), and 4 nights Madrid (Cristiano Ronaldo-no way!!)