Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spain

Re: Spain

Wow! What great advice thanks. Following Hannibal's route-how great is that! Ramiro-I will turn on my charm with portraits and hope for the best. I am assuming a small 4X5 on a tripod will be harder to have my pocket picked.

About Cadaqués-Another site has recommended a taxi from Figueres-seems to me it might overdo my budget. Que se parecen?

I still am having a little trouble planning and wonder if I might lean on you nice people one more time. We arrive at Barajas AM on a Monday. So far I have booked a small efficiency in Barza beginning the following Sunday for one week. We have four more nights in Spain after Barza B4 departure from Spain.

My dilemma: I really want to see places such as Girona, Figueres, Cadaqués, but can't figure best way, as I look at the map. It seems Saragossa route is most direct, although Cuenca seems more appealing.

Specific questions : Is four days enough to go from Madrid after arrival to Girona, Figueres, Cadaqués, going to Barza on the 5th day after arrival, or would public transit eat up the time? In other words start out north of Barza first? Also wonder if Huesca is doable, after reading several books about the Guerra Civil.

I am not sure I understood your plan correctly but...

Madrid-Barcelona by car takes around 6-8 hours. 3 to Zaragoza and 3 more to Barcelona. Not much to see in between except for a couple very small towns and the Monegros desert which might be cool to photograph (maybe?). I think there might still be a couple Osborne signs in the way too.

If you take the Cuenca route I am not sure how much longer it will take but keep in mind parts of it are not highway (slower but maybe nicer scenery?).
    You could just visit Cuenca and return to Madrid but my guess is Madrid will eat up your time since there's so much to see. The Prado Museum is well worth a two day visit and there's also the Thyssen Bornemisza. Don't leave Madrid without trying "bocadillo de calamares".

I would visit Girona, Cadaqués etc once you are settled in Barcelona. Rent a car for a day or two and drive to Girona. Have lunch there and visit Cadaqués in the afternoon. If you like it up there and want to see more you could always get a hotel in Girona and drive around.

The place you showed me in Barcelona is okay/not great. That area is poorly constructed and the appartments are a little bit smaller than tiny. The stairway is usually midget size and nasty looking. Then again, you are not planning on staying in much. You need to take the bus to get to the center. The nearest subway station is Barceloneta to which you need to walk a little. Good thing is the beach is a couple blocks away.
    You can actually walk Barcelona. I used to do it when I was a teenager drunk at 4am so it is doable, you just get really tired.
    You will get robbed in the subway no doubt. Keep your wallet and passport in a inner pocket. You will get robbed in the Sagrada Familia no doubt...

Huesca is a bit out of the way but the National Parks are incredible. Everything that is close to the Pirinees is wonderful.

The gay nudist beach Thomas talks about is my home town. If you Google Sitges you will get all kinds of gay tourism offers

I'd take the AVE (fast train) from Madrid to Barcelona. It will save you time and it is cool to travel at 300kph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Huesca is a bit out of the way but the National Parks are incredible. Everything that is close to the Pirinees is wonderful.
    My view would be to just scrape the rest of the trip, rent a car in Madrid and head to Huesca, visit the Mallos de Riglos, and then spend the rest of the time in the Pirineos of Aragon. Anything in and around Ordessa is wonderful, also the valley near Hecho is great.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks folks! Ramiro-Great photos on your site.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    Thanks folks! Ramiro-Great photos on your site.
    Thanks Terry.
    As a pre-teen my parents sent me to summer camp in Ordesa. We spent 15 days camped inside the park (nobody else is allowed to camp there) doing day trips to hills, valleys and waterfalls.
    One day we walked at 5 am into the woods and waited for the forest to awaken all covered with dried leaves. I still remember that day.

Thanks everybody! There is much to see and do, but some is going to have to wait until I convince my wife to walk the Camino. I also put a book review on my blog
    http://www.sociedadhispanadoylestown...o-picasso.html that really makes me want to go to Pais Vasco!

Barcelona could take all the three weeks and you will not finish it! Around Cadaqués, all the coast from Roses to Colera worth a couple of days.

I don't like typical Valencia. The Ciudad de las Artes has a zillion pictures of it, from every angle in every hour of the day, but if you finally decide to go there better visit the Albufera. The Delta de l'Ebre, as someone has suggested, is as interesting as the Albufera if you want an approach to the typical mediterranean manners.

Pictorically speaking, and in my opinion, nothing there and nothing between Valencia and Madrid.

If you have a more concise doubt, don't hesitate to ask and, above all, enjoy your journey.

Bienvenido.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo A. Siliceo View Post
    Barcelona could take all the three weeks and you will not finish it! Around Cadaqués, all the coast from Roses to Colera worth a couple of days.

I don't like typical Valencia. The Ciudad de las Artes has a zillion pictures of it, from every angle in every hour of the day, but if you finally decide to go there better visit the Albufera. The Delta de l'Ebre, as someone has suggested, is as interesting as the Albufera if you want an approach to the typical mediterranean manners.

Pictorically speaking, and in my opinion, nothing there and nothing between Valencia and Madrid.

If you have a more concise doubt, don't hesitate to ask and, above all, enjoy your journey.

Bienvenido.
    I second Domingo. From a value photo/kilometer the North of Catalunya is a great value Barcelona/Girona/Cadaques with a few days in each and some driving in the surroundings. Mountains to the West are also great but this is another trip in itself...

I have not been to Valencia in 20 years so it has probably changed a lot which would be too bad because I have fond memories of the area. From there driving into Sierras de Cazorla y Seguras en route to Granada - but again that is another trip in his own rights. I cannot speak about Spain because it is impossible to stop at one region there is always something more to see. Regretfully the last time I could have some decent time to travel there (one month) was 20 years ago.

I any case if I could make a suggestion it would be to limit your travel to a two regions 10 days each (for now) :
    1) as above and from there take the speed train to Madrid
    2) Madrid and surroundings - you can range far and wide easily from Madrid
    (You can even take another bullet train and spend a few days in Sevilla)
    The essential is to take the time to stay in a region and enjoy

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Boy I am unable to get the Renfe train site to work to book train tickets. Anyone know if there is a US number? I wonder if I have to book in advance for the overnight estrella 370 from Madrid to Girona?