Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does my 6x9 Horseman qualify as "large"?

renes

Re: Does my 6x9 Horseman qualify as "large"?

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    My book on Miniature camera photography (pre-WWII) calls anything smaller than 1/4 plate a Miniature format camera.

Ian
    You are correct, it was "miniature" term.
    But was in XIX century used a term like "medium" or something similar that put next estimation between "Miniature" and "Large"?

It's significant that most lens producers at that time, big name including with famous designs, started listing the lenses line from 1/4 plate. Was not it becouse they naturally treated 1/4 Plate as entrance to serious, "true" or genuine photography?

These all old lens listings starting from 1/4 Plate always have convinced me: "Here the Large starts".
    But it's my impression only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film..

Why the old recognition was rejected?

Last edited by renes; 8-Feb-2012 at 07:51. Reason: complement

These size-based terms will always be arbitrary.

Another way to distinguish it that is not arbitrary is film form factor. 2x3 was often used as sheet film. Medium format, which is a term that seems to me post WWII, always used roll film.

One way to model the present approved distinction on this forum is that cameras designed to accept sheet film are okay as the source of posted pictures, even if roll film was used. Dan's 2x3 Cambo SCI is designed to accept sheet film. A Century Graphic is designed to accept sheet film. A Fuji rangefinder is not designed to accept sheet film. A Linhof Technorama is not designed to accept sheet film. You can routinely use a roll film holder in many sheet film cameras, but the reverse is the rare special case. Those special cases (e.g., a Mamiya C-33 with a 2x3 sheet film adapter) can be handled case by case.

Incidentally, cameras designed for sheet film often provide film-plane ground-glass viewing as the principle means of viewing and focusing, but that is a grayer area. Nana's 4x5 box camera is fixed-focus and uses a door peep sight for viewing, but it is still designed for sheet film.

Rick "respectfully submitted" Denney

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Maybe someone should estabish the "Not Quite Large Format Photography Forum" for those view cameras that just don't measure up.

I have an 11X14 camera I shoot wet plates with.
    I could shoot a 1/16th plate if I made an insert.
    Kind of a grey area? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    That's nice Vaughn. Where is it exactly?

Thanks,

On my ex-inlaws' dairy farm on the Comboyne Plateau -- inland and a little south from Port Macquarie, NSW -- not far from you.

Taken early in the morning before the flies and heat got too bad -- and it got me out of the morning milking as well! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    I have an 11X14 camera I shoot wet plates with.
    I could shoot a 1/16th plate if I made an insert.
    Kind of a grey area? ;-)
    I'd put that in the "special case" category, for consideration on a case by case basis. (Is that humor too dry for a forum?)

Rick "who has never seen anyone wondering if 1/16th-plate was large format before" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Maybe someone should estabish the "Not Quite Large Format Photography Forum" for those view cameras that just don't measure up.
    I suppose, but us guys do tend to lie about the size of our formats...

How about film area? Say 100 sq. cm or 20 sq. in?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I suppose, but us guys do tend to lie about the size of our formats...
    I wear Bozo clown shoes so I don't have to brag verbally!

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    These size-based terms will always be arbitrary.

Another way to distinguish it that is not arbitrary is film form factor. 2x3 was often used as sheet film. Medium format, which is a term that seems to me post WWII, always used roll film.

One way to model the present approved distinction on this forum is that cameras designed to accept sheet film are okay as the source of posted pictures, even if roll film was used. Dan's 2x3 Cambo SCI is designed to accept sheet film. A Century Graphic is designed to accept sheet film. A Fuji rangefinder is not designed to accept sheet film. A Linhof Technorama is not designed to accept sheet film. You can routinely use a roll film holder in many sheet film cameras, but the reverse is the rare special case. Those special cases (e.g., a Mamiya C-33 with a 2x3 sheet film adapter) can be handled case by case.

Incidentally, cameras designed for sheet film often provide film-plane ground-glass viewing as the principle means of viewing and focusing, but that is a grayer area. Nana's 4x5 box camera is fixed-focus and uses a door peep sight for viewing, but it is still designed for sheet film.

Rick "respectfully submitted" Denney
    Not quite true historically.
    When I got my first 4x5 camera, a Speed Graphic, about 1938 it was considered "medium format". Large format was usually considered to be 8x10 and larger. 5x7 was the orphan child of the day and discussions about large or medium format centered around it much like this one about 6x9 cm.
    At that time there were 4x5 and 5x7 roll film cameras available which may explain why these sizes were not considered large format.