Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not using W.A. lenses

Question Not using W.A. lenses

With so many people now printing digitally, and stitching works so well, I wonder if it's common to leave the wide lenses at home and just make multiple shots with the film/lens shifted?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Not using W.A. lenses

Well for me, it is hard to cut the prints and get them to line up perfectly when I take them off the drying screens. So I take the wide angle, much easier.

Won't be the same -- size relationships, etc.

If nothing else, I would find added scanning, stitching, etc to be a much bigger pain in the ass than carrying an extra lens.

If I wanted to make stitched images, I would leave the whole large-format kit at home and buy a Gigapan for my Canon.

If I want something like a 4x10 panorama, maybe I would consider stitching two 4x5 images. But that would not relieve the need for short lenses.

And if I was stitching images made by using shifts, then it would have to be done with longer lenses to have the necessary coverage.

But I would much rather make single images of nearly all scenes, so that the time I press the button, and so that any effect of the time the shutter is open, remains consistent across the scene. Nearly all my photos have at least some movement in them, even if caused by blowing vegetation. And even if I hit an interval that has no movement, the same elements might be in a different position because of wind for the next exposure.

Rick "who uses short lenses far more often than stitching multiple images would be satisfactory" Denney

Why even bother with a lens, just do ray tracing if you going to make computer art.

I find it easier to 'see' one whole wide image on the ground glass than to pan a camera and mentally stitch it before exposure.

Stitching scares me so I will stick to one piece of film per image. If I want a panorama it is usually cropped from the middle of a 4X5 frame...until I win the lottery and get a 6X12 holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Well for me, it is hard to cut the prints and get them to line up perfectly when I take them off the drying screens. So I take the wide angle, much easier.
    I'm not as concerned about that level of perfection; I believe that gluing or mounting or attaching the individual prints together by hand is a strong artistic statement!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    With so many people now printing digitally, and stitching works so well, I wonder if it's common to leave the wide lenses at home and just make multiple shots with the film/lens shifted?
    This is great for when you want the perspective of a telephoto lens but the breadth of view of a wide angle lens. Keeping mountain ranges dramatic (instead of shrinking them (relative to the foreground) with a wide angle), for example.

It is just another tool in the bag to have for the right situations (or not). People can choose not to do it because it is too hard, but that just opens the door for others to get unique images.