Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Format Markings on Ground Glass

Name: ______William Booth

Re: Question about Format Markings on Ground Glass

Thank you for all the great responses. In portrait orientation, the possibility of rise/fall is limited by the shift (which on the Crown is like 1/4"). It also removes any possibility of tilt unless I mod [read disfigure] the front standard for swing. Seeing that these are very traditional portraits, I'm not going rocking the bokeh too hard or anything, but I would like to keep my options open. Also, I may resort to using a shorter focal length lens in order to get my subjects into the frame from a reasonable distance, and I think I can minimize visible edge-to-edge distortion by framing the shots this way.

So as long as you guys can support this reasoning, I think that is the way I'm going to go.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Forgive me for being pesky... but how much movement do you anticipate when shooting CDVs? I would expect little to mone. Maybe rise/fall to avoid raising or lowering the tripod column is my experience. I understand your concern since the Crown does not have a revolving back, but even when I shoot straight portraits with a fully-featured view camera I tend to use rise/fall as a compositional shortcut to adjusting the tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    Graflex at one time made a split 4x5 back that gave two images on one sheet of 4x5 film. You might find one on ebay or KEH, Midwest Photo or some such.
    Thanks for this information. I had read a scant bit about these and will keep my eyes open for one. An alternative to this is using a cut darkslide, but given the lack of a rotating back on the Crown, exposing the right (from the photographer's perspective) side of the film becomes tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Forgive me for being pesky... but how much movement do you anticipate when shooting CDVs?
    Little to none is probably correct. Given the responses so far, I will hold off on having permanent format markings applied until I've established a workflow that I am comfortable with and find works best for me. In all honesty, I'm more comfortable using the Crown in portrait orientation, so if the results are the same (and assuredly better with the wide-angle lens [late model Angulon 90mm 6.8]) either way, I'll probably end up doing it as I've suggested.

I hope that I am not coming off as dismissive of all of your suggestions, and I certainly do appreciate any input I can get. I will try it both ways before I apply any permanent markings. Thanks!

You might find a longer lens better, say the ubiquitous 127-135 found on Grafics. 90 is a bit short for what you are doing.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I would never pre-mark a GG without the camera and back in hand. I've marked off a few with a drafting pencil by opening the back and using the mask as a template. Sometimes you find that the correct position of your marks is not quite as centered as you would think.