Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying on ebay

Buying on ebay

When I use paypal, I like to chose the option to switch to my credit card.

Does anyone notice that, (maybe I'm wrong), when you use paypal on ebay, this is not offered? You are forced to pull the money from your banking account? thanks.

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Buying on ebay

The option is there. The button is very small and in the upper left hand corner (I believe). I do the same thing.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Landscape Addict

Yeah the option is there. Its difficult to see but it is there as Mark says.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

I have a PayPal account but linked to a credit card only. I'm personally not interested in linking my bank account number directly with PayPal (or with anybody for that matter.) I'm often reminded by my accountant to never link bank accounts with anybody, and don't give permission for somebody to be able to access your accounts. There's really no need for it. Credit cards (and esp a charge card like AMEX with no limit and a lot of consumer protection) work just as well.

In addition, you don't even have to have a PayPal account to buy from eBay. You can use a guest account and a credit card (although I believe there is a limited to the number of transactions before you're required to open an account.)

If you're a seller it's a different issue, but you still don't have to link bank accounts to get paid. Just have PayPal issue a check and send it directly to you. But of course if you're a big time PayPal user, you could elect to open a separate bank account just for your PayPal business.

thanks.
    Mark/Alex, are you sure, I find it no problem usually when using paypal outside of ebay, but when I click on an ebay ad to then buy, I cannot find it offered -- it just shuttles you through. maybe next time you buy, send me a screenshot.

Meerkat - how do you do this? Did rules change? Paypal has always said that the default must be from checking account, no? (if one can default to a card, how can I change without subjecting myself to their customer service?)

And I definitly do not see an option to buy from my own card.
    Maybe it differs, I'm talking about --Buy it now -- for example. Just click and you navigate and its only paypal no options.

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    I have a PayPal account but linked to a credit card only. I'm personally not interested in linking my bank account number directly with PayPal (or with anybody for that matter.) I'm often reminded by my accountant to never link bank accounts with anybody, and don't give permission for somebody to be able to access your accounts. There's really no need for it. Credit cards (and esp a charge card like AMEX with no limit and a lot of consumer protection) work just as well.

In addition, you don't even have to have a PayPal account to buy from eBay. You can use a guest account and a credit card (although I believe there is a limited to the number of transactions before you're required to open an account.)

If you're a seller it's a different issue, but you still don't have to link bank accounts to get paid. Just have PayPal issue a check and send it directly to you. But of course if you're a big time PayPal user, you could elect to open a separate bank account just for your PayPal business.
    The issue is.... if you don't link it, there are transactions you cannot do. And then again, you are correct, I would never link it to my personal checking account. Too many horror stories, mostly left over from the early days of PayPal, but still.

I opened a checking account and linked it. The people at PayPal will do a verification. Then close the account. Mine was closed about two years ago. The PayPal still gives me the option to use that account but I am always careful to switch to the CC option. Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards.

These days I don't EBay much. It use to be an interesting place, now it is structured to only small merchants. The hobbiests are gone.

tim in PayPal Land (san jose)

Quote Originally Posted by tim o'brien View Post
    I opened a checking account and linked it. The people at PayPal will do a verification. Then close the account. Mine was closed about two years ago. The PayPal still gives me the option to use that account but I am always careful to switch to the CC option. Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards.
    I dealt with someone as a seller who had a closed account like this on his Paypal. When he accidentally let something go through against that defunct account, it triggered an unauthorized transaction on ALL of his paypal transactions, reversing them all against the respective sellers he had dealt with in the recent past. Even money sent as a 'gift' will be reversed against the recipient if this happens. I suspect it was a nightmare for him. Luckily for me, he was good for it and fixed it up, I'm sure, with everyone, but it was a nightmare scenario. I would not recommend this approach at all unless you have never ever made the slightest mistake, because, as mentioned, Paypal ALWAYS tries to keep you from using your credit card.

If you have a friendly local bank, you can ask them to set up a free checking account that you keep $5 in. Paypal can verify, etc and then any overcharges your bank bounces if you make a mistake and let a charge through will hit your credit card on file.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tim o'brien View Post
    The issue is.... if you don't link it, there are transactions you cannot do. And then again, you are correct, I would never link it to my personal checking account. Too many horror stories, mostly left over from the early days of PayPal, but still.

These days I don't EBay much. It use to be an interesting place, now it is structured to only small merchants. The hobbiests are gone.

tim in PayPal Land (san jose)
    I opened my original PayPal account many, many years ago. I don't recall having to link it to a bank account. I did link it to an active cc account. If it was ever linked to a bank account, that account has been long since closed. Maybe the rules have changed over time, and so I'm probably not the right person to be making comments. But nonetheless I wouldn't recommend giving anybody your bank account info. I don't even like giving it to utility companies for direct payment. I'll pay them their due amount, but I'm not going to give anybody open access to my bank accounts (sure you have some safety nets and recourse, but they always take the money first and ask questions later.)

Although as I mentioned you could open a small account just for eBay/PayPal. I have a separate smaller account for my daily use that's linked to an ATM/debit card. But my bigger accounts are linked to nothing (no debit cards, no checks, etc..)

Anyway, any time I've used PayPal (and also with the "buy it now" option), they just bill my cc. There's nothing else linked. I suppose there might be a limit on some big ticket items, but I've bought a few pricey items with no issues.

As it is, I have since closed my account. They sent me an email a while back saying that they'd have to put a 30-60 hold to send me money if I sold big ticket items. I called them and said forget it and closed my account. Funny thing is, they emailed a few weeks later and said they changed their mind and wouldn't put a hold on any funds and that I'm welcome to re-open my account.

I never did re-open it. This way I'm not buying anything compulsively and it helps keep me off eBay which is a good thing. Saves me money.

And when I do need to buy something that's hard to find, I just use the PayPal guest account and use my cc. What I've also found is that vendors and sellers on eBay are often open to exchanging funds directly via credit card. The PayPal fees add a lot to the costs of doing business (and are passed on to buyers via the price of the goods.) Sure, you don't get that PayPal 'protection' (PayPal is like the Mafia) but you have recourse with your cc company (and again, AMEX is great.) Communicate with the seller, too. You can feel them out and easily know if they're decent or shady.

Tim,
    I did not understand you first paragraph or two, but I did understand:
    "Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards."

So you concur, the default is to the bank account? even today?

Still looking for an answer to the original question. ie, can one even do a switch to credit cards when buying from ebay -- I'd love to see proof one can. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Tim,
    I did not understand you first paragraph or two, but I did understand:
    "Pisses me off that there is no way to set default to Credit Cards."

So you concur, the default is to the bank account? even today?

Still looking for an answer to the original question. ie, can one even do a switch to credit cards when buying from ebay -- I'd love to see proof one can. thanks.
    I do not have any problem switching to my credit card using Paypal when buying on Ebay or anywhere else, if that is the actual question. I never pay from my bank account and always switch to the cc.

Richard