Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D-23 or D-76

Re: D-23 or D-76

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Jay - FACT: Kodak 76 needs time to reach equilibrium. Freshly mixed stock behaves differently from product a week to several months old. FACT. I've done hundereds of
    contrast masks with this developer and know exactly the outcome, and its an appreciable distinction. You standardize one way or the other.
    Drew,

FACT. Neither of your facts support your contention about buffering in alternative formulations of D-76 compared to the commercial product.

OPINION. Your style of discussion is unnecessarily aggressive and absolutist.

Drew Wiley

I've compared them Jay. What you call "absolutist" is absolutely right if people like me
    don't want to have to waste countless hours repeating work because of a mere generalization. No big deal. One just standardizes. Pick a time. Use 76 right after mixing, or one day later, or wait for about a week, full glass bottles, OK for about 6 mo.
    This was a big deal way back when Kodak started pushing TMax in the first place and
    folks were having trouble, and John Sexton went around explaining the problem with
    76. No big secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I've compared them Jay. What you call "absolutist" is absolutely right if people like me
    don't want to have to waste countless hours repeating work because of a mere generalization. No big deal. One just standardizes. Pick a time. Use 76 right after mixing, or one day later, or wait for about a week, full glass bottles, OK for about 6 mo.
    This was a big deal way back when Kodak started pushing TMax in the first place and
    folks were having trouble, and John Sexton went around explaining the problem with
    76. No big secret.
    And remember Johns Sexton's articles ( the ones I have) were before Tmax was released to the piblic.

I think Kodak only changed the buffering of D76 in the 60's or 70's and it's needed most when the dev is used 1+1 or 1+3 but helps as well in replenished systems. Ilford also changed the buffering in ID-11.

These devs all need at least 12 hours to equlibilise after mixing, if not the results are harsher grain, not as tonal, seasoning eliminates this and if not they settle after 4 or 5 films.

Ian

Drew Wiley

Certain applications are way fussier than general shooting. About all I used 76 for in
    recent years was masking, where the toe quality at low contrast was very fussly. So
    no guesses here. HC-110 is more predicatable, so I've switched over.

D 76 is a personal preference! However I think it may not matter that much. Knowing how to do film speed test and figure out how shortening or lengthening development time to alter contrast can be achieved with most developers can be achieved with most developers.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Drew Wiley

A nice substitute for D23 is Ilford Perceptol. It's not a published formula so I don't know
    how chemically similar they are, but it can be used to obtain very similar effects, though perhaps a bit sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by norm the storm View Post
    Hi

I know, bad news for Kodak and all argentic lovers.

Probably it will be easy to make ourself the equivalent or to find the equivalent with
    other brand.

What do you prefer for the dynamic range D-23 or D-76?
    What is you application? Do you print in the darkroom? Do you like to scan? Do you print high contrast, medium or low?

None of your questions can be answered until you specify the above criteria....

Best,

Lenny

zonal pro, Gama plus developer at 20:1 is similar to d-23.

My preference is for D-76h. I've used it for a few years now. The formula is in the cookbook.
    I have a formula for Perceptol (I used this stuff for years with 35mm) that came from Apug. There is a loss of film speed with Perceptol though, OK with 35mm but not for me with f9 LF lenses.
    Pete.

Kodak D76h is just a variation of the buffering of D76 plus the Metol is increased to 2.5g and there's 15 g of Boric acid. The Hydroquinone remains at 5g,

Kodak published their first Fine Grain developer back in 1927

Eastman Kodak Research Fine Gran Developer 1927

For Fine grain. - A developer recommended by the Eastman Kodak Research Laboratories for use when images of specially fine grain are required is as follows:-

Metol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 gr (2g)
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) . . . . . . 400gr (100g)
    Borax . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 gr (2g)
    Water to . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14 ozs (1600ml)

This seems to be one of the earliest published Fine Grain developer from Kodak. D76 was published around the same time but at that pont was only recommended for use with cine processing.

Ian