Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eizo Monitor

Re: Eizo Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Just about any of the color edge series monitors will serve reliably and with consistent and accurate color. Once you use them you won't go back. To be honest Lenny I'm surprised you haven't used them all along. They are far better than the Apple monitors.
    It's just timing.... I also use a dVinci system for color which has additional color cartridges, orange and green (hexachrome), plus 4 Cone inks in the set. Photoshop knows nothing about hexachrome, so color is an approximation no matter what I do. No soft-proofing for me... Basically, I spent the money on the printer... and the scanner. Frankly, I didn't know how bad the Apple monitors would be. It's the only Apple product I have ever really hated.

I think its time for the Eizo... however, there are some that say go for it and others that say the NEC is just fine. It seems hard to quantify the difference. I understand that everyone loves their purchase (with their hard earned cash). I won't want to spend unnecessarily. But I do want the top of the line - because I am targeting that kind of work, vs a more relaxed studio. So, I guess I would really love to quantify this...

I appreciate everyone comments,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Joshua Tree, California

Check NEC refurbished, a 27" PA271W for $639. You'll have to pay extra for the Spectraview kit but it's still a killer deal. Yes I have one and love it.

http://www.necdisplay.com/category/d...?Refurbished=1

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    It's just timing.... I also use a dVinci system for color which has additional color cartridges, orange and green (hexachrome), plus 4 Cone inks in the set. Photoshop knows nothing about hexachrome, so color is an approximation no matter what I do. No soft-proofing for me... Basically, I spent the money on the printer... and the scanner. Frankly, I didn't know how bad the Apple monitors would be. It's the only Apple product I have ever really hated.

I think its time for the Eizo... however, there are some that say go for it and others that say the NEC is just fine. It seems hard to quantify the difference. I understand that everyone loves their purchase (with their hard earned cash). I won't want to spend unnecessarily. But I do want the top of the line - because I am targeting that kind of work, vs a more relaxed studio. So, I guess I would really love to quantify this...

Lenny
    Unlike Apple (8 bit/channel) Eizo has 12 bit/channel. This is a huge difference which was easily seen when I compared my EIZO CG241W with a regular good monitor (Apple).

LA

You are right Lenny. We are biased toward what we choose to spend the $'s on. I went with the NEC 2690WUXi2 based on what I had read about it and the fact that I could not afford to pay over twice as much for an Eizo. I don't know how the two compare, but I have been very satisfied with the NEC's performance. I calibrate with the NEC
    SpectraviewII software and i1 pro. I use the NEC on a 2009 MacPro and OS 10.6.8.

Ben

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

"But I do want the top of the line - because I am targeting that kind of work...."

I think this is an important statement. While I personally have a 26in NEC (discontinued 2690wuxi2) and really like it, there is something to be said for the "appearance" of having an Eizo, especially in Lenny's case. Everyone, including his clients will probably know that Eizo's are supposed to be the best and when you hire someone to scan or print for you that confidence can be important.

As an example, I worked for a commercial photography studio for years, and we would sometimes rent a camera just for appearances. It seems silly when you can do a job just fine with a 5Dmkii or 1dsmkii that you own to rent another MFDB for $300/day. But when your client is walking around the set with their personal 5Dmkii and using it for snapshots...you look much more professional with a camera that is a significant step above.

That being said, I personally think ill stick to NEC. They are cheaper, and with their spectraview software and and i1-2 I am perfectly happy. I've even thought of getting their new 30in and using my current 26in for pallets...

I'm just acknowledging that in certain cases, and Lenny's might be one, having equipment that is widely recognized as being the 'best' can be valuable.

just my opinion.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Eizo ColorEdge has 12bit/channel (look-up table) and 16-bit internal processing for grayscale rendering. For black and white photography this make a huge difference.
    LA

If you are having client visits then appearances matter... I remember when I had my early 1990s imaging studio, I dropped $3K on a Radius Pressview, the first calibrated, imaging-specific monitor... and the first Art Director who sat next to me kept sticking his greasy fingertips on the screen when he was explaining what he wanted. I asked him not to but he'd just ignore me. I wanted to kill that guy... A few years later, when agencies finally bought Photoshop-capable machines, all these guys would hire you so they could pick your brain and learn how to copy your techniques. I actually put a second desk behind me to discourage them from cozying up next to me.

I much preferred the video editing suite set up of sticking the client behind you on the leather couch with inebriates. Bring up for proofs, keep em 5-6 feet away from the screen. Not that backseat drivers are much fun but it's better than having "co-pilots".

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post

Lenny
    Lenny, if money is little or no object, and what is required is the most accurate screen then an Eizo is the way to go. You are an imaging professional, if anyone really requires the best image quality repro and smoothest tonal gradation it's an imaging professional. Especially as you work on other people's images.

PS is hexachrome blind, but I think there's a PS work around with that using multi channel. Nevertheless, when I put a print from my epson 9900, also a hexachrome printer, on my Just reflective viewer and compare it to the same Image on the Eizo, the match is pretty perfect.

In reference to Leonard, I only do B&W and because the smoothness of gradation is supper critical for me, that's why I went with the Eizos.

Lenny, I'm in Napa and have the NEC PA24w if you want to check it out.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Langham View Post
    Lenny, I'm in Napa and have the NEC PA24w if you want to check it out.
    Peter
    Peter, That's avery nice offer. Thank you. I think, given the comments that some have made, especially about b&w, that I should go with the Eizo... I have had enough almost good monitors. I think the NEC is probably 95% there and if I was just doing this for me, I might do that, but I should probably just bite the bullet and get what I need. I do a lot of b&w and if it can help there, it will be worth it...

A guy who likes photography - and drumming. We should meet. Why don't you come visit one of these days. I'm right off of Lakeville... could be on your way somewhere.

BTW, The event that killed my monitor was some event. It also blew out the directories on my main machine so I had to fsck it, and it appears to have killed the power supply on my secondary machine. That's three separate devices.... (And somehow the pilot light on the water heater also went out altho' I really can't imagine how that could be related.) Apparently, there have been major solar flares over the past couple of days...

When it rains, it pours...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing