Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reccomendation for tripod and head for 20lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A 20 pound 4x5? My, my! For my less-than-that 8x10, I use a Reis A100 and an A250 (double-tilt) head. Very stable.

Vaughn
    Hi Vaughn, which thread size does the A100 come with and what thread is the A250 you have? Do the heads have a changeable 1/4 20 —— 3/8 16 or just one or the other?

I've been looking at their site. The head is different from the more modern ones with the handles that stick in the ribs -. I know Edward Weston used and liked his, how do you like yours?

Re: Reccomendation for tripod and head for 20lbs

If this helps, with Ries heads, the camera mounting thumb screws can be interchanged between 1/4 and 3/8 sizes (just order the additional Ries part). For the tripod mounting hole, you have to specify whether you want 1/4 or 3/8 size when ordering, although you can change over subsequently with a little parts kit you can order.

IMHO the A250 head is overkill for 4x5 (and maybe also for some 5x7's also), it is physically much bigger than the trim J250 head.

Landscape Addict

I have a Gitzo G3541XLS with Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head. Its huge, weighs next to nothing, holds 40lbs easy.

All up with legs fully extended and the head on the base of the camera is about 9ft off the ground. Seems silly on flat ground but when you are on the side of a steep hill you will be thankful for it...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Hi Vaughn, which thread size does the A100 come with and what thread is the A250 you have? Do the heads have a changeable 1/4 20 —— 3/8 16 or just one or the other?

I've been looking at their site. The head is different from the more modern ones with the handles that stick in the ribs -. I know Edward Weston used and liked his, how do you like yours?
    The first question has been answered, the answer to the second question is that I love it. Over-kill for anything under 8x10. But there are other pods/heads that will do the same job just as well.

What I like about it than none can match (perhaps some can get close to some points):

besides the advantages of wood and incredible stability:
    Customer service
    craftmanship and design
    ease of use -- tho sometimes the legs are a little sticky (But I have done nothing to maintain them in 10 years...my fault)...but always work perfectly in dry weather.
    Durable and can take abuse...which I give it. It is an important climbing-assist tool for when I am off-trail (much of the time) trying to work up or down areas with a 45 to 50 pound pack, crossing creeks, etc. Not an issue for flatlanders.

Vaughn

thanks, actually it turns out I may be going for a light 4x5 something like a Crown Graphic. I have a Carbon One Manfrotto 443 for my 35. It's rated for 13 lb, maybe I'm ok? I have currently though A Novoflex Magic Ball, not sure that would be good for the head.

It will work. While looking at the GG, give the camera a bump just to see how long it takes to settle down. That will give you idea how much time (if needed) to let the camera settle after cocking the shutter/removing the darkslide, etc. Then click the shutter.

Not familar with the ballhead, but I used a Gitzo #2 ballhead (on a Gitzo Studex 300) with a 4x5 and 5x7 for years and liked it.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Wow! I feel good. My 14x17 is only 22lbs! I use a Gitzo 1570M for that beast. Rock solid! Tripod is out of Walnut and it holds me at a wimpy 145lbs!

I took a look and found that the Gitzo 300 is not available theses days. I wonder if the Ries J100 and J200 tilt head would work with a Seneca 8x10 as well as 5x7 and 4x5.

I have a Calumet 4x5 monorail, old type, too but it gets no use.

What do you guys use with your 11x14's?

I put the 11x14 on the A100/A250 also.

"Gitzo 300 series" is out-of-date -- don't know the new numbers. The 200 series was called the Reporter and the 300 series the Studex. I have a 200 series (Reporter Performance) for ML and it can easily take the Gowland 4x5 (and the 5x7 in a pinch). I have a 300 Series (basic model Studex) that can easily take the 5x7, but would be weary about an 8x10. The Studex is only 2 inches taller than my 200 but with bigger tubing. The Reporter can get the camera higher if one wanted to take full advantage (and risk) of using the 2-section telescoping center column. The weight of the 200 with a head is a couple ounces heavier than the 300 headless.

So when I take the 4x5 into the wilderness this summer (hopefully), I'll take the 200 series. Almost 7 pounds, but don't want to dedicate funds towards carbon fiber! About a half the weight of my camera gear will be the pod/head. I'll have to weigh 6 holders and the Pentax Spot meter and figure out the total weight. Space becomes an issue.

The 5x7 will have to wait until my boys go with me -- divide up the gear three ways!

Vaughn

I have a Studex. It's a Studex Super Pro Giant 410 with a No. 4 head.

It's an overkill model to be sure. I was thinking that if it was fully extended at TP could be placed over it to double as a camping tent!

Back to 4x5. I have a Report Berlebach that's nice. Bought it new and have used it with 4x5.

I put a 5x7 and 8x10 Seneca on it too. A heavier camera would be too much, that's why I was considering a Ries.

Vaughn, for cameras up to 8x10 do you have a carbon model in mind?