Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet Another Wet Mounting Demo

Re: Yet Another Wet Mounting Demo

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    Awesome video.
    It convinced me: I am never buying a drum scanner.
    But if anyone is going to drum scan for me, it's you.
    Must have been the music?

Thank you. I'd be glad to...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    I have a question, I am still learning to mount on a drum and I get long bubbles on the edges of the film. They are not in the image, but rather, against the side where the gap between the acetate and the drum are at their greatest. Is this normal, or do I need to learn how to eliminate them completely?
    If they sneak into the image, you will have to spot that out. It isn't always so easy. It can be pretty annoying...

I would suggest that the springs on your mounting station are a little weak... In the demo I place my hand on the top rod and press a little extra... and that helps. You may also want to increase the amount of fluid you use. Make sure when you tape, you do it very straight and pull hard.

If the long bubbles are on the ends - then I would suggest you try and get a little more mylar at the back. You are fighting against the film wanting to keep from curling all the way on to the drum. Use a little less tape at the beginning and have more mylar at the end... and then pull hard with the first pieces of tape...

Hope that helps.

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Great video, Lenny!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    I have a question, I am still learning to mount on a drum and I get long bubbles on the edges of the film. They are not in the image, but rather, against the side where the gap between the acetate and the drum are at their greatest. Is this normal, or do I need to learn how to eliminate them completely?
    lots of tape. I use Tesa tape because it stretches. Tear off 3 inch pieces and stick one end on the mylar right up to the edge of the film then pull tight while holding one finger on that spot. This gets almost all the bubbles out. I sometimes have tape every inch or so along the opposite ends of the film, especially when mounting commercially processed film that has those fucking claw marks on the corners. Those holes cause lots of frustration especially when they're in the image area.

I hate those claw marks! There's just about nothing you can do. I've heard about some folks who tape a pair of pliers and press on the film to try and flatten it... Yikes!

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Thanks for the video. If I ever think about getting a drum scanner again I will watch this video and remind myself why I should not. I am way too clumsy and do not have the patience to mount a negative the way you demonstrated. I will continue to pay someone else who can.

Now I have a better understanding of the cost of a drum scan. It takes a bit of experience just to get through mounting.

Is there a demo somewhere on fluid mounting a flatbed?

Thanks, Lenny, very helpful.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Thanks Lenny! Great video. I'm new to drum scanning and starting to get the hang of mounting. Not as difficult as I imagined...but still run into issues sometimes. I have adopted your method of using short pieces of kami tape to stretch the trailing end of the mylar before sealing. Its especially useful when mounting 8x10 or 4 4x5's at a time.

Thanks!
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Flavell View Post
    Now I have a better understanding of the cost of a drum scan. It takes a bit of experience just to get through mounting.

Is there a demo somewhere on fluid mounting a flatbed?

Thanks, Lenny, very helpful.
    John,
    A quick Google search on wet mounting flatbed revealed a number of them, including a couple from Aztek, some from other wet mounting device vendors.

Have fun!

Lenny
    EigerStudios

Lenny, thanks, I appreciate that. I'll check it out.

I'm going to borrow a 4990 from a friend and I'm wondering if I should try a bit of 4x5 wet mounting with it. More concerned about messing up the scanner.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell