Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tips to Speed LF Landscape Setup

Tips to Speed LF Landscape Setup

I like to take my time when setting up, but have done it in less than two minutes on occasion--with a 35 pound camera.

Keep it simple.

Get a different tripod head. The problem you have with a ball head wastes time. I use a Ries tripod. I use the head with only the forwrd/backward tilt--not the side-to-side levelling tilt. To do that, do not tighten the legs of the tripod. Just nudge them. Takes an instant.

Either keep the tripod legs at preferred length or mark tripod so you can extend legs to predetermined height quickly.

Learn, by practice what kind of view you get with each lens you have, so you automatically select the right lens.

As others have said, forget the levels. Leave them home or throw them out. Do not get so invololved in this stupid techy stuff and gizmos and gadgets, like levels. I'm for forgetting gridded ground glass, too. Use your eyes.

Movements: as Richard said, few are usually needed for landscape work. If you do not use any movements, there should be no need to check for vignetting. Use a set screw ring and fixed, collapseable lens shades--not the compendium type. With the fixed ones and the use of few, if any movements, you never have to check for vignetting. With those lens shades that extend it only means another thing to check. I have written about this extensively on the Azo Forum at www. michaelandpauld.com. I have two retaining rings--one for series 8 lenses, one for series 9. For series 8 I use a step-up ring, so need only one set of filters.

In general, sounds like you are making it way too complicated for yourself.

Tips to Speed LF Landscape Setup

Leaving the camera all set up and ready to go on the tripod helps - I daydream about a system which gets itsself out of the gadget bag, puts isself on the tripod and levels itself, ready for me to adjust the movements remotely.

It may seem OTT, but I plan to mount the camera on a mast on the vehicle, with a digi camera with CCTV as a view finder.

Change lenses or load film through the sun roof!