Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thawing Sheet Film (again)

Thawing Sheet Film (again)

Sorry for asking the same old question a million newbies have asked before but I have searched through the old threads for guidance and just wanted to check that I am approaching this the right way.

I have been stocking up on expired / close to expired slide and black and white sheet film (as I have been able to get some quite good deals) and freezing it. I am now looking to thaw some of it out. From looking at the old threads am I right in thinking that

1. I get the film out the freezer (always a good starting point)
    2. I put it in a freezer bag / ziplock bag (with possibly some silica gel packets to absorb moisture)
    3. I leave it out overnight at room temperature or put it in the fridge
    4. It should then be o.k to use after 7-8 hours?
    5. Once thawed / the box has been opened I can not / should not refreeze it

If I am not missing anything out above, does this generally mean that it is not recommended to get one or two sheets out at a time and load them into a film holder to thaw and then putting the rest back in the freezer before they defrost?

Thanks, and apologies for the lame questions!

Re: Thawing Sheet Film (again)

It should be in a zip-lock bag when it goes in the freezer. Then take it out of the freezer and leave it on the counter still in the bag you froze it in. Leave it that way for several hours. Then open it.

If the film is still in the box, in the original sealed factory air-tight bag (not all are packaged this way, such as Ilford) then you can just take the box out and leave it for a few hours before opening it.

If you froze a partially used box in a non-air tight package, this is not ideal, but I don't see what else you can do about it now.

What's wrong with keeping a frozen box in the freezer taking it out and immediately loading film holders it in a dry changing bag? I've done this quite a few times and never had condensation marks appear. My theory is since everything is enclosed (changing bag, film holder) and dry it's difficult for condensation to occur. Maybe I've been lucky but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    What's wrong with keeping a frozen box in the freezer taking it out and immediately loading film holders it in a dry changing bag? I've done this quite a few times and never had condensation marks appear. My theory is since everything is enclosed (changing bag, film holder) and dry it's difficult for condensation to occur. Maybe I've been lucky but so far so good.
    When you end up with 20 or so sheets of 8x10 ruined, you'll see what's wrong. Why take the chance?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

hacker extraordinaire

I also have taken bare film boxes out of the freezer and loaded film directly into film holders. I did not have a problem, but your mileage may vary.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    You have been lucky. The condensation comes about when the cold, dry film is exposed to warmer moisture laden air. The moisture will always condense on the colder surface. You may get by 20 times, but on the 21st when you make the photograph of your life it is ruined by condensation.

Thanks for that, from reading the above I am probably better off not risking it and will just defrost the lot at once. Thanks again.

Film doesn't freeze (change state) the way water does, at least at any reasonable temperature. Your only real worry is condensation. Since film doesn't have much mass, it warms up in a hurry. A few minutes in the holder ought to do it (and yes I've done this).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M Bourque View Post
    Film doesn't freeze (change state) the way water does, at least at any reasonable temperature. Your only real worry is condensation. Since film doesn't have much mass, it warms up in a hurry. A few minutes in the holder ought to do it (and yes I've done this).
    And what about the rest of the film in the package? You're advising a relative newcomer to risk ruining expensive film when he doesn't have to, and your logic is specious.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

Sometimes you'll end up with little tiny water droplets condensing on the film, sometimes the film will buckle in the holder from a temp change during the exposure.
    That's the minor scenario. Ever had a lens fog up from a sudden temp change? Film
    is no different. Glad you gamblers out there have plenty of money for extra film.