Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 4x5 or 8x10 for maximum print size

Les

Re: 4x5 or 8x10 for maximum print size

I'm relatively new here though I know that it takes lots of patience and chit load of small items before you can even expose your first sheet. I just went through all this, getting cable release/s, film holders, lupe, light meter, etc etc.

Anyway, and don't wish to discourage, it's 5x worse when you are in the field....and rarely you'll find a store that handles the LF items that you may need or desire. Preparation will be everything.

Not only there is a lot to the style and technique, but if you play your cards right, you can gain some crucial info by paying attention to those (here) that have been around the block. Here is one that I just learned. You can use an umbrella to shield your camera during exposure when the wind is trying to move the thing to the next zip code. It may be a simple tool, but it takes ingenuity to apply it...and it prevents the wind from ruining your shot.

Before you jump into LF, you might want to try (rent perhaps) digital MF. By that I mean, you can shoot particular scene in pano layers....overlapping one frame over another and then stitch with decent software....and you should be able to get pretty good results with static scenes. It's like with anything, the more care you put in, the more satisfaction you gain from the final outcome. Much if it depends on your demeanor. Good luck.

Les

Good luck Simon with the 8x10!

I've very jealous that you are obviously having great fun with photography, traveling the world ( looks like you were in London last year - on my birthday), and are selling images in a gallery. I rather suspect some of the old geezers that hang out on this forum might be jealous too - try and ignore them there are enough helpful people here as well.

For all you sceptics I was shooting with a borrowed Rollei, developing my own film and printing at the age of 8 - I can see no reason why a 14 year old cannot do the same on 8x10 and produce 80inchx80inch prints. I never made photography my sole profession but wish you the very best in the future.

I've just picked up some 60x48 inch prints shot on 4x5. This is the absolute limit for my eye, I very rarely print that large as most people's houses aren't that big. These are for a large restaurant. Customers are have a different perception of quality than us I suspect, I've never seen anyone 'nose' my prints in galleries, and I've seen very large 100 inch panoramas taken with Dslrs look acceptable to most people.

8x10s look like another step up in the hassle factor, film loading, processing, scanning and getting film in the first place. 4x5 might be 'enough' for your needs.

Have fun

Yup, and honestly good luck if this is genuine. I really don't want to seem like another grinch, and I apologise if I do, but am also in the slightly sceptical camp as I am relatively new new to LF but find 4x5 plenty expensive for my tastes and I work full time! It will be good to see the 8x10 images on your flickr site.

Just remember to get the tripod, light meter, dark cloth, loupe, film holders, scanner etc etc. Also I think from my extremely limited experience it is not exactly easy to get a photo that will print 80x80 without getting the technical side down perfectly. I think that things like even the film not being entirely flat can affect the final image, so whilst in theory 80x80 prints might be possible, it may be premature to think you will be able to knock them out immediately for your clients.

Once you have taken some images you will probably want to come back and post them to prove the sceptics wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nguss View Post
    ... Also I think from my extremely limited experience it is not exactly easy to get a photo that will print 80x80 without getting the technical side down perfectly. I think that things like even the film not being entirely flat can affect the final image...
    This is correct. It requires impeccable technique, and the only way to acquire this is to educate one's self and then put that education into practice. 80 x 80 is a 10x linear enlargement from the short side of an 8x10 sheet, so it isn't extreme - like a 10 x 10 inch from a 35mm negative. It's certainly doable, once one learns how to choose and use one's equipment. A sturdy tripod is where you start....
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.