Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for superb WA

Les

Looking for superb WA

While enjoying the snow outside the window....I'm dreaming about really good WA lens. More specifically a 75mm. I don't want to flip a coin on this, but out of what's available out there (Rodenstock, Schneider, Caltar, Fuji, Nikkor, etc) what would be my best choice and why ? I'm new to LF and all qualifying opinions would be considered. Can it be said that I couldn't go wrong with any of these
    choices ? Also, are there better or equally good vendors besides KEH ? Thanks for your time.

Les

Re: Looking for superb WA

72 Xl......

Zeiss Biogon 75mm

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    72 Xl......
    +1
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Schneider 80mm SSXL would be close enough in FL to consider. I have used both the Nikon mentioned and the SSXL. The SSXL has slightly higher sharpness and contrast than the regular 75 mm Nikon f/4.5 that I use a lot. You need to check for the haze problem on some versions, although most of those lenses have been corrected or replaced I think.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

What are you shooting? If you're doing commercial architecture work you can'd do much better than the Schneider 72XL. But it's a big lens and requires a huge center filter. If you're doing landscapes or other work that doesn't require tons of movements, then it may be overkill.

I use a 75/4.5 Grandagon-N. It's very sharp and also quite compact. I use it for urban landscape work mostly, and some interiors, but not commercial architectural work. I'd recommend it for all but the most demanding situations (For which the larger image circle of the 72XL may be required).

Dave Karp

I guess it might depend on what you are going to use it for.

My choice was a 75mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N. If I was buying now, I would look for the 75mm f/4.5 Caltar II-N, which is the same lens, made by Rodenstock, and relabeled with the Caltar brand for Calumet. Same quality, lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    72 Xl......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    +1
    yes, yes; superb-ulous lens.
    I nearly sold mine this week, luckily the fever passed.

KEH has a pile of 75's right now. Nothing wrong with any of them. I'd prefer the f/5.6 (or f/4.5 in the case of Rodenstock) lenses over the f/8 lenses because of their superior coverage. The newer ones will be multicoated, also a nice thing. I see Fuji SWD, Schneider Super Angulon, and Rodenstock Grandagon (some marked Caltar II-N) models--all are excellent.

The 72XL is a newer and better design with more coverage, but it's also considerably more expensive than any of the 75's at KEH.

I haven't found any vendors better than KEH, but they have the better selection and the more informative website. B&H has a lot of used stuff, but at higher prices. Midwest Photo doesn't show all of what they have and you have to call them, but they know stuff. And there are camera stores that might on any given day have something. But if you have a hankering for a 75, KEH is the best game in town at the moment.

Rick "not usually seeing so many 75s at KEH" Denney

Consider a Schneider 58mm SA XL. I love this lens. I have used it for outdoor (nature/landscape) and indoor portraits very successfully. Yes, portraits. They are of the environmental type, and to my eye the effect is excellent. The 58mm SA XL is very sharp. The center filter is helpful, but not mandatory IMHO, depending on the subject.