Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Computer for CS5

Re: Computer for CS5

Here is the problem-there was an early (8gb) and later (16gb) version of my board. Later version has an "a" on the end of the model name. The builder has no record of which version he put in there (really lame I know-i won't go back to them) and there are no obvious model/version markings visible on the board.

I find it hard to believe though that it would have 16 bit capacity and they would only advertise it as 8-since 16 would be a big selling point. Unless they are morons.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk - go to www.crucial.com, click to the "memory" page, and then "scan my system". This tool will tell you how much RAM each slot will take, and what your total system RAM capacity is. Crucial is very highly regarded, has good prices, and a guarantee that their RAM will work.

Check out OWC RAM. I just bought 32 GB of RAM (8x4gb) for $250. And even the guys at APPLE recommended OWC.
    Brian,

I could buy 32gb in 8 chips of 4gb each and that is only $180.

However the only intel motherboards that have 8 slots also only use LGA2011 socket and require a $600 i7 chip! total cost of motherboard and chip = $900. Too much.

Does your motherboard have 8 slots?

Anyway i'm assembling a PC not Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    It's all about what you can afford versus the level of performance you need. If you are considering an SSD, which is far more expensive than a hard drive, because of the increased scratch disk speed, then maybe spending $230 more on RAM and not needing to use a scratch disk at all (although you still have to pick one in PS) seems reasonable.

Keeping as much of the image in RAM as possible, and never having to go to the virtual RAM Disk is much faster and you are allowing your processor to work at it's full speed potential. And remember that even with 16 or 32 bit your system software will use a good portion of that, and you might have some other applications running and using it, like a scanner, so ultimately you may be using 2-5 GB of your RAM on non PS uses.
    Brian,

I could spend the extra $230 for 16gb ram, = $14 per GB
    or for $93 could get a 80GB SSD. = $ 2.3 per Gb

Much more cost effective to get 16GB memory + 40 Gb SSD (For scratch disk only)

I just don't know if I spend the extra money and get 32Gb RAM can I avoid the Scratch disk altogether. Then as you say it might be worth it. But if PS still needs the scratch disk (even with 32GB installed) then the advantage is reduced I think.
    What do you think?

One rule of thumb is to multiply your file size by 10 to calculate how much RAM you should have (plus add some more for the OS, Photoshop, and other apps that will be running). So if the files you will be working on are 1GB, the you want at least 10GB of RAM. If you will be working on files much bigger and 1GB, then adding more RAM than 16GB will show some benefit.

Regarding SSD drives, I have never tried it, but I'm thinking that an SSD drive would show benefit if paging occurs. It would be way faster reading/writing scratch to an SSD drive then a SATA drive. If you have enough RAM to never page, then this is a moot point. probably makes the most sense if you max out on RAM, but still see latency from paging.

Thanks Greg.
    Most of my files will be 1gb, but a few could be up to 4gb (2 stitched layered 4x5 at 4000 dpi)

So maybee I should bite the bullet and spend the extra money for RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by sraichur View Post
    Brian,

I could buy 32gb in 8 chips of 4gb each and that is only $180.

However the only intel motherboards that have 8 slots also only use LGA2011 socket and require a $600 i7 chip! total cost of motherboard and chip = $900. Too much.

Does your motherboard have 8 slots?

Anyway i'm assembling a PC not Apple.

Sandeep, I'm on a MacPro, it has 8 slots and can take up to 128 GB of RAM.

I'm confused do you have 4 or 8 slots?

Brian,

I haven't built anything yet.

Most all the intel motherboards i've seen have 4 slots only.

The one with 8 slots is socket LGA 2011 and requires a $600 i7 chip.

So I'm stuck with 4 slots unless i spend $280 for MB and $600 for i7 chip!

Brian,

I wouldn't mind switching to MAC but I already have CS2 in windows and just ordered CS5 upgrade.

Is there a way to run windows programs on Mac?
    And would that slow things down considerable to make it a disadvantage?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Sandeep, I'm on a MacPro, it has 8 slots and can take up to 128 GB of RAM.

I'm confused do you have 4 or 8 slots?
    Brian,

Which macpro do you have?
    I can't see one that had 8 slots and can take 128gb?