Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BIG! camera...

BIG! camera...

Re: BIG! camera...

Obviously a scaled up version of the Poco/Premo type shutter shown.
    This is only a project - he hasn't got around to thinking about optics yet.
    His name is Manarchy - perhaps short for "Maniac Anarchy"?
    I think (hope) this is a joke.

My first thought for lenses are: observatory lenses. They are big enough although I'm not shure if they can reuse any of them.
    But never mind the lens, what about the film? How do you load the huge film? How do you develop a huge film? How fast can a big shutter be?
    I hope this isn't a joke! It's not going to be an easy project, but an awesome one for shure.

It's seems to be real project, but that is definitely an "artists representation" of the camera. Think about it, are you really going to hook a 10" diameter rubber air hose to that shutter? ... the film holder in the back looks a tad unwieldy as well.

http://thefpac.org/
    http://www.manarchy.com/

I'm not impressed by either Manarchy or his project. It smells like an entrepreneur seeking glory at other's expense with nothing really new. Over a hundred years ago George Lawrence accomplished much the same thing with the relatively primative technology of that day http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/mammoth.html. In that instance, it was the photographs, not the public spectacle, that was the goal. Over the years even bigger photographs became possible. I remember the 18x60 foot Kodak Coloramas in Yew York's Grand Central Station: http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Tips_P...k_Colorama.htm. Some were captured on 8x10 film, some on even smaller film. Of course the viewer couldn't get close to those.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

So Kodak started with an 8x10 (the interviews say it was side-by-side), then a Deardorff 8x20 banquet camera, then the K-38 9x18 aerial camera, a Deardorff 5x10, a Linhoff using 120, and finally 35mm. It's also interesting to note that in the beginning, the 8x10 film speed was 5 (Not a typo! 1/5th/sec at f/16 in direct sunshine!).
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I wonder how feasible it is..I am guessing he is using Xray film, he talks about 3 ASA, and in one of the movies he showed a blue negative. And assistant with red lights inside the camera

And than he want's to shoot at f 32, 3 ASA, and no motion blur with natural light (previous project was with flash). And than DOF..I did not do the math, but with the magnification ratio for portraits I very much doubt he will reach sufficient DOF at f 32 and what lens..1000mm or more.. And than blowing up these large negatives to gigantic prints, how ..optical..I guess not, so dreaded digital?

We'll see

Cor

The links about George Lawrence are great! I'd seen photographs of his mammoth camera before, but I'd never seen any sources describing it.

Over the years I've gathered information about various contemporary and historical large format cameras and photographers and added them to the discussion forum of the Size Matters Flickr group- http://www.flickr.com/groups/sizematters-lf/discuss/

That's nothing, I was voted the world's best photographer 4 times (I'm not going to say by whom )

It wouldn't be very hard to make one of these.
    • Get an old semi trailer, preferably one with doors on the side as well as the back.
    • Build a lens plate and mount it inboard of the rear doors where the lens can left on and the doors can still close.
    • Forget about film and make it a wet plate camera.
    • Use a nice 4'x8' (or slightly smaller depending on the size of the semi trailer) sheet of honeycomb aluminum for the wet plate.
    • Build a holder for the wet plate that can swing to the horizontal for putting the collodian on, then vertical for the silver bath and exposing the image.
    • Put the holder on a track for adjusting focus. As a bonus, back swings, tilts, and shifts can be built in.

The only problem I can forsee is finding optics that are sharp corner to corner.

p.s. Don't forget to paint the sides of the trailer to look like a camera