Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stitching 4x5

Landscape Addict

Re: Stitching 4x5

I like that church shot alot...

Would it be easier to do if your camera had extreme movements? I shoot a monorail that has every movement under the sun... If I shot the first shot with the rear standard all the way down, and the lens raised as high as it goes, then the second shot raise the rear standard all the way up and the lens all the way down... that should *essentially* give me two images that overlap by a little bit... I would assume that it would be easier to stitch that way as the perspective between the two images should be identical...

Imagine how big you could print that trainline image John... What is the file size of the stitched image?? It would have to be 1.5 gigapixel wouldn't it? if the negs were drum scanned and roughly 300mp each... Massive prints...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Horseman L

Simply set front and rear standards at the opposites (front all the way left and rear all the way to the right) then shifted them back towards each other until they end up at the opposite end of where they started.

I shot a negative at 30 / 15 / 0 / 15 / 30 mm markings on my camera. I could have probably left out the neutral shot but I wanted it for protection.

At the extreme I was running out of image circle with the 110XL lens so I'm thinking if I used an 8x10 camera I could get all of it in one sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    I like that church shot alot...

Would it be easier to do if your camera had extreme movements? I shoot a monorail that has every movement under the sun... If I shot the first shot with the rear standard all the way down, and the lens raised as high as it goes, then the second shot raise the rear standard all the way up and the lens all the way down... that should *essentially* give me two images that overlap by a little bit... I would assume that it would be easier to stitch that way as the perspective between the two images should be identical...

Imagine how big you could print that trainline image John... What is the file size of the stitched image?? It would have to be 1.5 gigapixel wouldn't it? if the negs were drum scanned and roughly 300mp each... Massive prints...

Your first paragraph is essentially what I did with the Steelways image... maximize image circle. Unless you're working very far away with a long lens (as I did in the first image of Willet's Point above) you will want to use camera movements to maintain perspective lines, and camera position...

I am definitely printing the second image soon. The file is 653mb at 1800dpi without layers. I had a lot of overlap though, so you're more likely seeing only 2 1/2 4x5 frames There is a lot of detail in the building windows that you can only see in a big print.

Thanks for the explanation, so basically you are trying to overlap the sweet spots.
    I have never stitched an image together , but I am beginning to see some great options, with what you folks are doing here.
    I like this thread hope others post more images.

2 4x5 stitched.

Very Nice, must create a monster file?

I was able to stitch 5 or 6 negs together with autopano pro for this image that ended up being 2.2 gig. Using ImagePrint I printed out six tiles at two foot wide by six foot high on canvas, then sealed both sides and hung it as wall paper on a twelve by six foot wall. I had to print at 180 DPI for the printer (epson7600) to handle it, but it still looked good and I did two more walls with different images.

Toyo AX 4x5 210mm Rodenstock, I can't remember what film (maybe Astia)
    Last edited by Thad Gerheim; 23-Jan-2012 at 11:22. Reason: forgot data
    Thad Gerheim

This I had shot this envisioning to make a 6X17 from two frames of 4X5. It was shot with a Fuji 400T. Sangre de Christo range from Rosita, CO.

And this is a stitch of two vertical frames, also shot with the 400T from the Wet Mountains of Colorado.

John Sanderson - That is one awesome image! I can only imagine exploring the detail in a large print.

I've only done a handful of 4x5 stitches and they can be done. The first below is a 5-image stitch. The resulting size is all relative considering I've only scanned this at 1200.

The second image I may have posted here on the LF site before. This is a 3-image stitch. I've included the "raw" unprocessed stitched file. For those who have yet to stitch, this is an example of what you might expect when you "pan" your image (rotate the camera from a fixed position) and then stitch. This helps explain why you need not only overlap, but that you should anticipate crops and "transforms" in your final processing. It can be done though, just takes some work.

unprocessed stitch:

after processing:

Landscape Addict

Lon - that first shot is an absolute cracker! beautiful colours and composition. As you say to do a good stitched panoramic image you really need to invisage the final product that will be produced (including transform/distortions etc) So you can compose your shot to allow for any cropping that may be required....

As I said, - Fantastic shot... You'd have to be happy with that on your wall..
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography