Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy processing ideas

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Crazy processing ideas

but really i recommend putting film inside container disguised as a toy and letting kids play with it in bath.
    through a glass darkly...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

or have a back pack set up that you can take jogging, or you could let every one use at the gym. That way you could get heaps done at once.

strapped on the back of your dog?

converted washing machine?

thats all i got.
    through a glass darkly...

I was thinking of some kind of septum system that can allow augomated film shuffling in trays....man...contraptions...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    or have a back pack set up that you can take jogging, or you could let every one use at the gym. That way you could get heaps done at once.

strapped on the back of your dog?

converted washing machine?

thats all i got.
    I think I see where you're going-- there are already lots of moving things around us, so why not just co-opt that movement for our purposes? I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    I was thinking of some kind of septum system that can allow augomated film shuffling in trays....man...contraptions...
    I think this falls squarely into the large category of things that are easy for us and very hard for machines (shuffling sheets of film in a tray, I mean). A septum of some kind would definitely change the equation. It's not too hard to imagine a robotic arm removing and replacing (picking and placing) cards in slots in some kind of slot processor arrangement.That's not bad! It would allow for individual processing of each sheet/slot, with minimal solution volume, and any chosen agitation frequency. The same robotic arm could "manually" process roll films in daylight tanks. Loading the film onto the reels might be a challenge!

Robotic Chem Vat Mobile. Line speed controls developing time. Drop the sheets into a frame on the arm of the mobile and rotate them through a circular trough providing the same effect as agitation. Mobile is on a robotic arm that will lift the film out of one vat and into the next, with a station for each chemical and rinse step. Load it, hit start, and bask in the Rube Goldberg approved glory.

Only slightly more seriously, centrifuge processing. Sheets go around the outside of the tank parallel to the tank wall. Just enough fluid poured in to cover the sheets when spun. Fire it up and let the processing begin as the speed causes the fluid move the the outside flow over the surface of the film. (not responsible for over-agitation, time variables, chemical separation, film coming loose and sticking to the tank wall, or the god-awful mess if it comes loose of the motor)
    Sarcasm. Frustrating the clueless since 3000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Coelus View Post
    Robotic Chem Vat Mobile. Line speed controls developing time. Drop the sheets into a frame on the arm of the mobile and rotate them through a circular trough providing the same effect as agitation. Mobile is on a robotic arm that will lift the film out of one vat and into the next, with a station for each chemical and rinse step. Load it, hit start, and bask in the Rube Goldberg approved glory.

Only slightly more seriously, centrifuge processing. Sheets go around the outside of the tank parallel to the tank wall. Just enough fluid poured in to cover the sheets when spun. Fire it up and let the processing begin as the speed causes the fluid move the the outside flow over the surface of the film. (not responsible for over-agitation, time variables, chemical separation, film coming loose and sticking to the tank wall, or the god-awful mess if it comes loose of the motor)
    Reminds me of the Inventor's cookie maker in Edward Scissorhands! Very nice.

I developed some 8x10 film in a tray the other night and was thinking about magnets and pumps and stuff while bored tending the tray in the dark.

I used a 12x17 tray to double my output over an 8x10 tray and used a plastic coated magnet as a center divider. Underneath the tray, I had a steel lobster-picking-utensil to hold the magnet in place.

A round pan to develop film in could have some unique agitation properties. An audio/mechanical transducer could strike the edge of the pan and it would create a uniform wave through the liquid. The signal could be chirped to increase agitation variety and reduce standing waves or resonance. (water gets messy when you hit resonance in a small volume of liquid) A subwoofer speaker coil in a waterproof box under the tray could do this easily. This would of course be all electronically timed for our convenience.

Alternatively, a round tray could have some pump outlets along it's edge (like how a toilet bowl fills up). Timed pumping of the fluid could agitate things and gently spin the negative for consistent development, sort of like how things sometimes spin before they go down the toilet drain. This system could have multiple tanks and a water source input that rinses things between tank fillings and completely automate film processing. Seems like draining a toilet bowl inspired container back into a chemical tank or down the drain would be a lot easier than a jobo lift emptying a cylinder.

I like the centrifuge idea of processing. I am concerned it could increase bromide drag / developer surging, unless the developer continues to be sprayed out the middle toward the edges. It'd be sort of a combination between clothes washer and dish washer.

I've also thought a monster version of the combiplan tank would be handy. I've read it wasn't produced in larger than 5x7 size. Someone built an 8x10 1 gallon tank for similar uses. The reason big version aren't built is the film isn't stiff enough to stay in position during agitation in a much larger tank. I was thinking a custom super-low-profile 10" chip-bag clip at both ends of the film could keep the film straight and tensioned while developing. A couple little teeth 1/16" into the film edge would hold it very well and still be out of the photo. Lacking individual clips, the tank could also have a groove the film sits in on bottom, and a long nut driver or other custom tool could tighten a cam that would cause the film to be pinched at the bottom of the tank till it's released the same way.

centrifugal processing...ahhh yesh....don't think it could work for processing--but something like a cylinder in cylinder...VERY: close together..leaving a very thin annular ring to put in the film and chems...spin the inside or outside...don't matter..just spin not too quickly---this is best--low chem voumes...quick chemical changes via air pressure to force drainage and chemical loading---

i bought one of these kodak processors with a giant beautiful smoothe stainless steel cylinder that has very smoothe indentations all over it...if i had a part just like that for the outside this would be very nice to use---anyways--this processor really works nice..you lay film on it emulsion side down (well--prints) and it is held in place with a wet net--the drum rotates ON the emulsion but picks up a film of chemicals from a trough below and keeps the chemicals constantly changing and a liquid barrier---it does work very well for film except for the blasted back side problems---and it's not daylight...very slick..the cylinder was hollow so you can fill it with water for a temperature ballast---very beautyful machine--I was saving it to maybe do something for film with it in the future...it's a really nice stainless cylinder--smooth..very very nice...so smooth it don't scratch anything

For the round tray, you could use some type of turntable with a built in wobble for agitation. You could measure agitation in rpm's.