Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearing agent for Type 55?

Clearing agent for Type 55?

Let the questions begin!

It would appear our local photo stores do not carry sodium sulfite. Polaroid says do NOT use a conventional fixer. Are there any alternatives? Perhaps some other kind of store that would carry it? I really don't wish to mail order unless absolutely required to do so.

At least one poster has said just water will do (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000mBH), but Polaroid seems pretty adamant that clearing is required...

Thoughts?

Hi there, If your local photo stores carry Kodak chemicals, they can get Sodium Sulfite for you. There are also numerous chemical supply houses around the country that can supply it. Check your yellow pages for "chemicals". Sodium Sulfite is pretty common and should not be hard to find in any locale. Good luck,
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Water ..... yeah water works just fine. You can rewash/clear later with sodium sulfite if you want (especially for permanancy) but water works.

Photographer

Why not try some of the alternatives yourself and decide what works?
    Keith Pitman

One of the few local shops that carry chemistry gave me some weird story about not being allowed to carry it anymore; said it was dangerous. Actually said you need a license! This sounds very fishy.

Anyway, I will hassle them and in the meantime use water.

Thanks for the help.

Octogenarian

Hi Paul,

You can also use Heico Permawash, Orbit Bath, or Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. They all contain, mostly, sodium sulfite. Sodium sulfite is alkaline . Fixer contains either sodium or ammonium thiosulfate. It is an acidic solution. The paste-like developing agent that Polaroid uses is highly alkaline (potassium hydroxide). It will react strongly to acid. That is why Polaroid recommends using a hardening fixer only after all of the developing paste has been removed from the surface of the Type 55 negatives.

I use Permawash with good results. It's easy to get, easy to use, inexpensive. I see no reason to use anything else, honestly.

Sodium sulfite is the best, easiest stuff, but if you don't mind a little extra effort, the efficacity of Parmawash or just plain water is well documented.

For cheap a source of photo chemicals in Canada (pay in cheap canadian dollars!) try the excellent and very kind Johnny Deiure (he's more or less my neighbour, but he sells across the world): http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/

Forgot to say: Johnny sells 100 grams of sodium bisulfite for 3 USD, 7.50 for 500 grams (over a pound). If you ever want 11 pounds of the stuff (5 kg), it's 34.50. He ships via USPS surface.

LOL, the CAD are not so cheap for me; I am in Canada. OTOH, his prices are good and there are no border hassles, so maybe I'll give him a swing if the locals don't pan out.

I was thinking Hypo should work as suggested; since I already am accumulating misc negs (in a corningware of water dish of all things), maybe I will try it on one of the experimental one in the meantime.

I can't remember how hard this all was before the web....even though I did some development then, but have forgotten everything I learned.