Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Washer for Tray-Processed 4x5?

Re: Best Washer for Tray-Processed 4x5?

For over fifty years I have been using a bakelite 12 slot tank with a hole drilled in the bottom. Just place it under the tap after adjusting temperature. Inexpensive, efficient and archival. It looks like an early model of the Doran top loading tanks, not the current Yankee which I believe holds the film in a horizontal position. I suppose that would also work with a hole drilled in the bottom.

The Gravity Works washers are great. I even had one at one point, but returned it.

I wash all of my LF sheets in my ZVI print washer at no additional cost (except water). I prefer the Calumet ZVI (made by Gravity Works, I believe) for film, because of its active "cross jet" system (back), over the passive "fill & dump" passive diffusion eco types (fine for prints and in all likelihood, just as good for film, front).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    What is simple, economical, and effective? (i.e. no scratches)
    • simple –> just place between dividers with hang clothespins, take out when done and hang to dry.
    • economical –> already had the print washer.
    • effective –> they're washed and all my washers fit into the dedicated (water only) washing sink , no complaints.

I do have a dedicated roll film washer (peeking, front), however.

Best? I don't know. Washing film seems a pretty fool proof process given the nature of the substrate and well established basic washing principles.

Gravity Works with basket for 4x5.

I have an Inglis for 8x10 which is the best available for that size, but i like the design of GW better.

I wash in the JOBO tank I process in4-6 changes with 500ml water for 5-10 minutes, or I use my Combi Plan tank for washing (only good use of a CombiPlan tank in my hands..)

Best,

Cor

Oops..I did not read the title carefully..Trays he said... oh well the Combi Plan use still stands; with a hose at the bottom and let it overflow in the sink
    Last edited by Cor; 16-Jan-2012 at 07:41. Reason: Reading skills..

As stated above, I use a stainless film hanger in a Kodak hard rubber 4x5 tank. The tank can be anything that keeps the film fully immersed. Super simple, pretty inexpensive.

I have used the HP Combiplan (which has a bottom inlet) and hangers in a tank. the tank I use is a 8x10, 3.5 gallon tank with a hose to the bottom and I overflow to the top, mainly because that is what I have. I'd still go this route if I had any intention of shooting both 4x5 and 8x10 (and 5x7), but not if I only shot 4x5.

Much more important than the container choice is the filter on the faucet...

But wait, what have you been using?

I haven't processed my own film in almost 20 years but I used to work in darkrooms and was a respectable silver printer, all Zoned out ;-p

I am just finishing up a modest film-only darkroom, figuring I will always scan. But I want to have B&W processing capability in house. I will continue to use my friend Edgar for C41, but with Kodak's troubles I am skeptical that color sheet film will be readily available 5-10 years from now. Until then I can always use a nice darkroom for loading, cooking meth, etc.

For simplicity and affordability (and conservation of water) it's hard to beat the Dishrack Film Washer.

I like Ken's idea; good for when you're stuck, on a tight budget, or just not sure how to wash your tray-processed film:
    http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/dishrack.php

EDIT: I see Ken has me beat

When the last of my Polaroid Type 55P/N was gone forever, and the film back disposed of, I kept the Polaroid clearing tank. It holds eight 4x5 negs in separate concentric compartments in an inner basket, bowwed so there is no contact on either side. A water tube run down the middle of the tank to the bottom makes a just fine washer. I process one neg at a time, or at most two negs non-emulsion side to non-emulsion side. The negs go in directly from the fixer for washing, and finally for wetting (the whole basket can be moved or removed to mix the drop of wetting agent). Theoretically they could dry in the basket too as there is only edge contact, but I take them out one at a time and hang them by a corner. I wish my kloogy print washer was as neat.
    Last edited by fishrdnc; 18-Apr-2012 at 13:19. Reason: sp.